VMware Fusion and Beta 4

Hi All,

I tried Beta 4 on Fusion (mac version of vmware workstation 17) and observed the following things on my I9, MBP. I do not need tips, these are no complaints. Just what I ran in to.

• It takes a long time to boot: I gave Haiku 16 GB memory and 4 cores. It takes consistently 45 seconds to boot, it hangs on the memory chip icon
  • using NVME as the default disk type or SATA on first install will give a kernel panic “cant find boot partition”, when trying to install haiku on a virtual disk of 80 GB. Workarond: switch disk to IDE, install, once installed and booted, switch back to NVME.
  • do NOT use the VMWare tools package. It will permanently freeze your system. It overwrites something with the mouse, and from there on, your mouse will stay frozen, reboot after reboot after… you get it.
  • SMB package does not work. My home is filled with SaMBa daemons sharing disks to windows/mac and linux. FuseSMB sees nothing. Perhaps it needs support for newer SMB versions?
2 Likes

Welcome, John007!

Can’t help you much. Don’t have a Mac, don’t use a VM nor SMB.
Maybe another Mac using Haikuza can chime in.

For your first item, you could hammer SHIFT or SPACE while booting and choose Enable on screen debug output and Disable on screen paging from the Boot Options. Maybe you see where it pauses.

1 Like

This is the only thing I can chime in on. And here we go…
FuseSMB only supports SMB 1, so you’ll need to check your SMB servers and make sure SMB 1 is enabled, if possible.

If your SMB servers are fairly recent, even enabling SMB1 won’t be enough for FuseSMB to see it, because the method of broadcasting shares has changed. In fact, I’m not sure Samba even advertises at all, anymore.

If it’s possible, you can try installing wsdd on your servers, which might work. Wsdd is a Python script; there’s also a wsdd2 that is C or C++. I say “might” work because I have a NAS that is running wsdd2 and it still isn’t picked up by Windows, macOS, or Haiku. “wsdd” is a Web Service Discovery host daemon.

There’s a way around this, but it is crappy. It is to open config/settings/fusesmb/fusesmb.cache and add a line for your servers like:
/[workgroup name]/[server name]/[share name]
(for example, /WORKGROUP/SERVERA/Shared)
And then save it. Then, when you click on the SMB Network icon, and then Workgroup, the shares will appear and be usable.

UNTIL FuseSMB refreshes. How long that takes is up to the setting in Network Preferences. You can hold it off for a max of 120 minutes. After that, you’ll have to re-edit that file (or, do as I do, which is make a copy of the modified cache file and then copy it back to it’s original name after two hours). Or, maybe, make a cron job or something that automatically does it.

It is suboptimal, but it works until someone can fix it. Or make the config file automatically add it to cache. Or something.

As long as your SMB servers will do SMB 1, that is.

1 Like

In any case sshfs is a better an more secure way of doing this.

Maybe. But it’s not necessarily easier, or what people think of to go to. Or, possibly, available on a NAS. You’re telling people to go through hoops that they don’t need to on The Big Three. NFS would probably be the next choice, after Samba, but that doesn’t seem possible with Haiku for most people, either.

I guess you’re only in favor of highly technical people using Haiku, and not general users?

Seems to be true, yes.

That’s sad.

Just for fun, I tried using sshfs, and all I got back was “bad port ID”, even when I specified the port.

@John007 - if it’s any help, I use Haiku in VMware Fusion on a Macbook - I use Fugu UI to transfer files to/from Haiku to the host. (just have to configure the ssh first on Haiku - search this forum for instructions on how to this):

I think you can download it here: Fugu SSH - Browse /Release/fugu-1.2.0 at SourceForge.net

1 Like

We’re in beta stage, so people have to accept some rough edges. Surely someone will eventually fix SMB or NFS, but until then, sshfs exists and is quite reliable. It’s nice to let people know about that option and it doesn’t prevent working on the other ones.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true, I suppose. Although I couldn’t get sshfs to work, either.

Which Mac? I own a 2019 16inch MacBook Pro. Running Fusion, and since my other machine is dead, this is what I use for Haiku now as well. Maybe I can look into some of those things and see what I come up with.

Haiku is in beta stage, thats why I did not expect perfection. Reality check: will general users ever find and use Haiku? It really depends on “what do you want Haiku too be?”

My considerations on “some developer in time will update etc”
Assuming that “some developer, in time will implement a general user feature” is what, imo, keeps systems away from the general users. They will discover, they can’t reach their NAS, conclude it doesn’t work and move on. That kept linux small until organisations like Ubuntu or Gnome or KDE decided that users only come when all the basics are neatly implemented and configurable. Linux for years had the reputation that you could do anything, if a developer wanted to write the code and users wanted to manually edit configuration files and debug syslog and messages to discover what went wrong.

There is nothing wrong with being a non general user OS. People should know upfront that they can’t expect anything and assume they will run in to sometimes unsolvable issues.

I’ve got the same machine, newest version of Fusion player. Its free for personal use, so skip parallels.

This is not at all what I said. When I say “someone” I mean more likely someone part of the current developer team or community. But we are all working on this in our free time, we all have our own list of hundreds or thousands of bug we want to fix (in my case: dual screen support, getting the touchpad and sound on my laptop to work, …) or that other people expect us to fix (in my case: most of the problems with WebPositive). So, it will take some time before this specific bug becomes someone’s main annoyance and they decide to fix it.

Should we fix this? Yes, of course. The question is more, who can fix this, and also has no other more important things to fix first?

7 Likes