VMware addon mods

Dukto binary that I am currently using, includes 32 and 64 bit versions: https://gofile.io/?c=U9zBGY.

Iā€™ll try that but having a ā€œknownā€ and working solution like modern SMB or VMware add-ons really working would be really great, especially when the workaround is not really known or even supported (no updates in 5 years for Dukto if Iā€™m not mistaken).

Iā€™m not flaming at all here, Iā€™m very aware of the work around Haiku (and Iā€™m an old Amiga and BeOS fan, as a lot of ppl here I guess), Iā€™m just writing from the perspective of a ā€œnewā€ user. To stick around you need a way to easily try your medias & docs, even in a VM :wink:

File system sharing (SMB or virtual machine addons) is more difficult to configure and use and may have security problems. Software like Dukto allows just start app, select destination and drop files/folders to share files. No configuration is needed and files canā€™t be accidentally damaged.

I completely agree, sadly Dukto is not a viable product anymore, donā€™t work at all for some people (Iā€™m one of them on the Mac side, trying with my PC tomorrow) and it will only get worse, since the OS evolutions will break itā€™s way of working (it already started if I believe my experience and the comments on the Net). Thatā€™s why Iā€™m pointing out the need of a ā€œclassicā€ and expected solution.

Yeah definitely! Iā€™m now fully integrated to my corporate masters at VMware and have good contacts in the open source team (OSPO). Project lives here: https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools

Whilst open-vm-tools is GPL v2 licensed the user level elements are LGPL v2.1 licensed. Not sure this is acceptable? So look like weā€™d be just creating our own extensions to the existing old support in Haiku. Thoughts on licensing? @waddlesplash

1 Like

The license is not a problem, since this will not be included directly in Haiku sources (it will be a package available on haikuports).

Ideally for us, all the required things would be moved to open-vm-tools, the VMware team would do some (or most?) of the work maintaining it, and we would just take care of the packaging at haikuports. I suspect they will not really want to take care of it all however? So we need to at least update our existing add-ons and integrate it in that repository, and try to keep it up to date as much as we can ourselves?

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a word and see what they say. I suspect theyā€™ll want us to keep the repo separate, but thereā€™s nothing stopping us building it in such a way that it could at some point in future just be merged in to their repository.

2 Likes

Hey. Wanted to quickly revisit this. Is there a well defined ā€œAskā€ I can go back to my colleagues with, or set of quick wins, here? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hmm I can only request features from my end. Those would be shared folders would, Audio Support (at least my haiku R1b3 in VMware with VMware addons does not have a sound output device) and I donā€˜t know if some sort of graphic acceleration is possible but thatā€˜d be ace!

Iā€™m not 100% sure what youā€™re asking @adamfowleruk (are you asking users or the devs/maintainers?), but from a userā€™s perspective I think starting with a review & update of the code would be good since itā€™s fairly old.

Then a triage of the reported issues followed by knocking some of them off would be greatā€¦

He replied to pulkomandy.
He ia a developer.

I donā€™t use VMWare so I donā€™t know what VMWare users need and what is the state of the existing add-ons.

Whatā€™s working? Whatā€™s broken? Thatā€™s questions for users.

Of the list of broken things, what can be easily fixed and what needs more work is maybe a question for developers, but personally I donā€™t really have any interest in this nor time to dig into it.

And last question, what can be fixed by Haiku developers and which parts need support from the VMWare team? There I also donā€™t know, as I never used this code and donā€™t know how it works.

I think Iā€™m not the best person to answer any of this :slight_smile:

Just chiming in as a VMWare user on Windows - the current VMWare addons for Haiku are limited in functionality and only have the feature of clipboard sharing (i.e. you can copy text from the host system into the guest system) and mouse input switching automatically between the host and guest systems. The addons havenā€™t been updated since 2009 IIRC so a lot of work is needed to both update it and add in all the other features provided on other guest systems.

OK thanks all. In the light of the replies let me change my asks:-

1. Does anyone care enough about this to be very happy if it were improved by someone? (Either as a user yourself, or in being able to reach out to new users who use VMware Workstation as a core maintainer)
  2. What additions would you request, how big a deal are they to you, and how would you prioritise them?

I guess the main ones I can think of:-

• Making sure it still works from version to version
  • Sound output
  • Ensuring common USB devices work as if it were a real machine (E.g. USB Drives)

Anything else people would urgently/desperately need? If its not a big thing I shallnā€™t investigate it, but I recall it being a pain personally on my work mac when trying it out (VMware Fusion in this case, I have a large ESXi host too), so thought Iā€™d ask.

3 Likes

I mostly use vmware_addons to have clipboard sharing working. Though Iā€™ve read that VirtioConsole driver can be used for that?

I wouldnā€™t mind vmsf (Shared Folders) driver working reliably as well as audio driver. Thanā€™s basically all I need.

Yeah, I would be really happy if this were improved as a user of VMWare (Iā€™ve found it to be much faster in terms of performance than VirtualBox)!

Personally, Iā€™d really like to see file sharing - clipboard and mouse sharing are already implemented so thatā€™s the only thing missing for me. I deal with WonderBrush files so having to transfer using Dukto can be a bit of a hassle, especially since Dukto is unmaintained and crashes from time to time on Haiku.

1 Like

The clipboard mostly works for me :slight_smile:

I have to second @jt15sā€™s ā€œfile sharingā€ request. Thatā€™s probably the biggest thing missing for me as a user. Pretty much a showstopper for me in terms of using Haiku instead of just playing around with it.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d like to see this to be improved!

On top of the existing features Iā€™d use shared folders, audio, and I donā€˜t know if some sort of graphic acceleration?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a look at the copy/paste issue just now. Not had time to try out any fixes yet (I need to set up my new Haiku Beta 3 VM for development and testing). Iā€™ve added some basic notes to the issue report link you shared.

5 Likes

Thanks Adam!

I donā€™t really know how to start building and testing this, otherwise I could take a crack at itā€¦