VM(s) on Haiku?

My problem was caused by running qemu on an older AMD processor. This version of qemu needs certain CPU instructions to run. I have it running on a newer Intel box now.

Well, I am running an older AMD processor :slight_smile:

Anyway, I made a little (well, really not) progress. Instead of using the “-s” shorthand for enabling the qemu/gdb server stub, I used the long hand option:

qemu-system-i386-x86 -hda ./visopsys1.img -cdrom ./visopsys-2014-12-02.iso -serial stdio -S -boot d -gdb tcp:127.0.0.1:1234

That’s supposedly the same thing, but apparently not. Anyway, doing it that way gave a much better looking netstat:

~> netstat -n
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State Program
udp 0 0 *:631 - 460/print_server
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:1234 : listen 3725/qemu-system-i386-x86
~>

Then, attempting to connect from gdb:

(gdb) target remote 127.0.0.1:1234
Remote debugging using 127.0.0.1:1234
Ignoring packet error, continuing…
Couldn’t establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, timeout
(gdb)

But, the netstat command shows the connection:

~> netstat -n
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State Program
udp 0 0 *:631 - 460/print_server
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:1234 : listen 4063/qemu-system-i386-x86
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:60244 127.0.0.1:1234 established 4072/gdb
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:1234 127.0.0.1:60244 established 4063/qemu-system-i386-x86
~>

Who is the maintainer for the qemu port on Haiku OS?

I installed qemu from the HaikuDepot app, but didn’t see porter info.

All things considered, the Qemu port on Haiku does pretty well I guess. I’m able to use Qemu on Haiku to launch the Visopsys OS with no trouble. It’s only the debugger connection that’s the hangup. Is the Haiku debugger too integrated and Haiku-centric to be able to do this kind of thing (eventually)?

The bundled gdb is a very old version, which was patched to work for native debugging. For other purposes it is a good idea to get a newer version of GDB built (without native apps support, then). I’m not sure what the state of the haikuports recipe for an up to date GDB is (but I know some work was done towards this).

PulkoMandy: Thanx for the info. Yeah, some of the old gdb versions didn’t work that well with Qemu. So, that’s probably the real problem, rather than Qemu. Qemu is maybe a bit slower on Haiku than on some of the other platforms, but I’m testing some pretty light operating systems. Speedwise, they do OK on the Haiku Qemu setup. I use Haiku fairly frequently for things like surfing, but didn’t think to use it for a VM. Now I know I can! It gets better every day.

Haiku lacks virtualbox with virtualization. Qemu without virtual machine is not adequate today, to slow. Interesting, but Windows XP on my PC in debian on virtualbox is faster than on real hardware!

I beg to differ. Spin up all the VMs. :slight_smile:

what its the status of running vm’s on haiku? could be a kiss-ass of vm’s runners!

Try it, should be easy to do :slight_smile: i am not fan in the VM then i dont know but it should be easy to test, haiku is very lovely in this moment… dont be afraid to test.

The status did not change recently. You can run qemu in Haiku, but without hardware virtualization it will be quite slow.

any progress on this? maybe if haiku team works with virtualbox team, something communicate with thems?

hey @cosmogatokat seems do you not understand that i taking about running vm’s on haiku, not running haiku in vm!

What about progres of VM on Haiku?

1 Like