VM(s) on Haiku?

[quote=andrea.paiola]I talk about run other OSs on Haiku:

Is it possible? wich software? how install it?

thx[/quote]

Qemu has been around for Haiku for awhile now. It allows running other OSes on Haiku but:

1. Qemu port may not work with newer Haiku versions. You might be able to get it working by following my advice here:
    http://haikuware.com/remository/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/qemu#comment-7515

Qemu port for Haiku can be found here:

http://www.bebits.com/app/4208

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/qemu

To install: download, unzip and run qemu from terminal like you would in Linux.

@thatguy, you missed the point. He wants to be able to run different OSes in VMs one at a time. It is for people who only want to check out and play with other OSes without installing them.

When he says good VM host he is talking about:

[1] Very good host OS for VM because light, fast and responsive. ie, in VM you have host & guest OS.

[2] Better VM performance on Haiku than other OSes running the same VM software but performance is likely close and only benching would show for sure of any real difference (ie, Qemu 0.9.x on Linux versus on Haiku) and

[3] Running single OS in VM at any one time which really is implied and the normal use at the user level. Just like how people use VMs on other OSes. You are fixated on the idea that he wants to run multiple VMs at once which is completely wrong. I have about 3 VMs with different OSes but I run only 1 VM at one time and very rarely 2 at once. That is how almost all users work with VMs!

[quote=tonestone57]@thatguy, you missed the point. He wants to be able to run different OSes in VMs one at a time. It is for people who only want to check out and play with other OSes without installing them.

When he says good VM host he is talking about:

[1] Very good host OS for VM because light, fast and responsive. ie, in VM you have host & guest OS.

[2] Better VM performance on Haiku than other OSes running the same VM software but performance is likely close and only benching would show for sure of any real difference (ie, Qemu 0.9.x on Linux versus on Haiku) and

[3] Running single OS in VM at any one time which really is implied and the normal use at the user level. Just like how people use VMs on other OSes. You are fixated on the idea that he wants to run multiple VMs at once which is completely wrong. I have about 3 VMs with different OSes but I run only 1 VM at one time and very rarely 2 at once. That is how almost all users work with VMs![/quote]

1. Linux kernel has better performance clock for clock cpu for cpu in throughput then Haiku does, currently. could that change in the future ? Its not much slower, but the interupts that make the OS snappy, degrade performance a wee bit. Its a few % points towards linux, nothing drastic though.

2. See reply #1. Just becuase it does some things faster, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a penalty somewhere else.

3. I am aware of how people use VM’s. thumbdrives are cheap.

The linux kernel is not the problem, X server is the problem.
It’s very very, very, big and slow.

Thanks to all: I installed and run successfully OpenBSD on QEmu on Haiku (on Acer Aspire One).

[quote=thatguy]

1. Its a few % points towards linux, nothing drastic though.[/quote]
    Yes, I believe performance of same Qemu version on Linux or Haiku would be fairly close. Only benching would show if true or not.

Drive install is not always an option. I have x86 Android OS. Tried to boot and would not even with the VESA driver. Also, others download OSes (like Haiku) and it will not boot for them or crashes. Others download OSes they try out couple of times and then delete them. I have downloaded Haiku images and sometimes not worth installing to thumb drive if I will install newer version in couple of days. Sometimes I just want to check something out real quick in Haiku but prefer not rebooting, ie, I give help on forums and being able to check in Haiku helps which can quickly be done through VirtualBox without rebooting, etc.

Also, with hardware V, Haiku (and other OSes) run pretty good in virtual machines.

Also, you could do what you say with just 1 thumb drive with good size like 8GB. Partition it, install OSes, install boot manager (like Grub) and create a multi-OS thumb drive. =)

http://www.osnews.com/comments/25665

Oracle working on Haiku port of VirtualBox?

No that is integrating the GSoC stuff.

Hi

What is progres about hardware virtualization on Haiku?
I know about Virtio drivers to Qemu, but it still do not working…
Is anybody work about this?

It’s been literally years since I played around with this, but if it still works, you should be able to run 32-bit OSs, if very slowly:

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/haiku-bochs-245

16-bit Windows you might be able to shoehorn onto DOSBox. But if you want to run today’s 64-bit OSs on Haiku, I guess you’re out of luck.

Это здорово! Есть ли у вас инструкции по установке?

haiku-os@conference.jabber.ru

diGer

Nice instructions! QEMU would run Windows 7 with correct license, yes?

Is there a download for latest QEMU?

Got it.

sorry guys but what about the performance of win XP, is Qemu it is worth a try?

Diger, how did you get required libs such as libglib-2? Did you build from haikuporter?

In theory qemu should also run Windows 7. Windows 8 will not run until NX CPU feature is added.

I used HaikuDepot to download and install qemu. When I run: qemu-img create -f raw c.img 1500 I get a crash. So I created Win7 ISO using qemu Windows. When I run qemu-system-i386 -boot c -m 512 -vga std -boot -hda c.img -cdrom Win7img.iso (32-bit) I also get a crash. Haiku version is hrev47851 GCC4.

qemu-img-x86 --version
qemu-img version 2.1.0, Copyright (c) 2004-2008 Fabrice Bellard

qemu-img-x86 create -f raw c.img 1500M
Formatting 'c.img', fmt=raw size=1572864000

Works fine here. The version is from HaikuiDepot.

I can launch an OS in qemu running on Haiku without trouble.

qemu-system-i386-x86 -hda ./visopsys1.img -cdrom ./visopsys-orig.iso -boot d -s -serial stdio -S

But, the “-s” switch, which is supposed to enable connection from gdb, gives me an odd looking netstat output:

enetstat -netstat
netstat -n

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State Program
udp 0 0 *:631 - 453/print_server
tcp 0 0 - - listen 1330/qemu-system-i386-x86
~>

Subsequently, the gdb connection attempt fails. Why is the standard port number missing

(gdb) target remote localhost:1234
Remote debugging using localhost:1234
Couldn’t establish connection to remote target
putpkt: write failed: Socket is not connected.
(gdb)