VideoStreams: Media Kit-like 3D hardware acceleration kit for Haiku

Will it be possible after this work is complete, to have apps on different monitors with different resolution etc ??

2 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Drivers, develop in or out of Haiku tree?

I managed to make initial integration of app_server with VideoStreams and RadeonGfx by implementing VideoProducerHWInterface. Global tearing free rendering with flipping of 2 framebuffers is working. Hardware cursor is used. No compositor yet.

I run test_app_server on second screen. Some stub white window is used to capture input and deliver it to second screen with test_app_server.

CIMG4777

CIMG4778_1

37 Likes

Now this does look like a real X-mas present! Awesome work as always and kudos to you for your dedication to this project! :clap:

14 Likes

In the not to distant future, vr beat saber game running on haiku

Bummer you need a working Steam for this (aka SteamVRā€¦ aka OpenVR/OpenXR)

Gotta have hardware acceleration first, but good news is steam uses vulkan dvdvk zink etc. So might be possible to petition steam once drivers are up.

Iā€™m not sure what you ā€œneedā€ Steam for exactly. A few online games perhaps.

Wellā€¦ hardware support would work also with https://monado.freedesktop.org/ . Never experimented with it yet (DEMoCap runs against Steam/OpenVR for the moment) but a HMD and Controllers would work. Monado uses Vulkan with certain extensions present so maybe this might be a possible test. I canā€™t help there since my laptop is an nVidia one (yeahā€¦ I knowā€¦ I would have picked AMD if I had found one with strong GPU setup).

Steam would require either Wine and/or a Linux compatibility layer to come first. Even with hardware acceleration, Steam on Haiku in any way is still rather far away.

I would say monade might be worth an experiment. It reduces the problem to a smaller set: pretty much OpenXR runtime. If you have working HMDI and USB support then it should be possible to get a simplistic HMD/Controller setup running without needing to touch steam.

Iā€™m not so sure what steam depends on, but getting working drivers is step 1

Running Wine is probably most realistic approach. I think it is not too hard, most important that TLS register collision need to be fixed. Xlibe can be used for initial windowing integration.

7 Likes

Now, running Wine would be a dream come true. Then weā€™ll follow with a petition for Steam on Haiku. :slight_smile: cannot contain excitement ā€“ screaming inside with joy

1 Like

You would also need Proton.

My word. Steam relies on Proton not Wine. Same same but different.

How bad is the input latency with this over normal operation?

Wine is required for running the Windows version of Steam, which would be the most sensible place to start. There is not a whole lot to gain from being compatible with closed-source Linux software.

Porting Proton actually wouldnā€™t make any sense at all because Steam is closed-source.

Iā€™ve found this on WineHQ in case someone here didnā€™t see it, although I doubt it.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Haiku
The page details why they didnā€™t make a port for Haiku, I canā€™t say that I understand half of it.

It will be very cool when Haiku will be able to run emulated games with hardware accelerated graphics.

Many information is obsolete.

3 Likes