Video connector port preference

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get Haiku up and running on a desktop machine using various video cards that have some combination of DisplayPort, HDMI and/or DVI. Haiku is able to go through the boot sequence but as soon as it gets past that and when the desktop is suppose to come up, it seems like output to the display stops. Sometimes I get some noise on the screen for a brief second but most of the time it looks like the OS killed the connection and the display just goes into sleep mode.

I was wondering if there’s a preferred output port that gets initialized OS? I’ve tried moving the connection to various HDMI and/or DisplayPorts - don’t have a DVI cable anymore - but haven’t had any good results. I’ve been able to bookt Haiku on several laptops and a NUC without a problem.

The cards that I’ve been trying are all AMD based and range from Polaris to Vega architecture. I have both in laptop form and the framebuffer driver seems to be working fine. Really wanting to get a desktop machine up.

Thanks!

1 Like

After some digging around I found a Fiji card and discovered somewhat accidentally that if I had both the DisplayPort and the HDMI plugged in the desktop comes up and I’m able to use Haiku.

Turns out that the Polaris cards will also boot to desktop and is functional if I plug in both the DisplayPort and HDMI.

Vega cards crash after boot sequence and before desktop with the current nightly that I’m using.

Hi, do you know how to retrieve the syslog files? It sounds like capturing all the syslogs available in /boot/system/var/log and comparing when it gets to desktop versus when it doesn’t might shed some light as to what is happening. Crazy that two cards helps it get to desktop!

Hi Scott,

I don’t know how to retrieve the syslog files, but if there are instructions I’m sure I can figure it out.

To clarify, I’m using 3 different cards (2 Polaris and 1 Fiji) but only one at a time and it’s 2 video connections that’s making the desktop come up :slight_smile:

Here’s a page with some info, the syslog docs are near the bottom of the page.

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/welcome/en/bugreports.html

1 Like

Thanks, Scott. That looks pretty straightforward.