Veilid framework

https://veilid.com/

Veilid is an open-source, peer-to-peer, mobile-first, networked application framework.

The framework is conceptually similar to IPFS and Tor, but faster and designed from the ground-up to provide all services over a privately routed network.

The framework enables development of fully-distributed applications without a ‘blockchain’ or a ‘transactional layer’ at their base.

The framework can be included as part of user-facing applications or run as a ‘headless node’ for power users who wish to help build the network.

Source code: https://gitlab.com/veilid/veilid

1 Like

Haiku is a mobile-last architecture. How would this benefit the desktop? We already use IPFS for some distribution channels. Most so-called “mobile-first” are based on BlueTooth P2P networking and are completely unsupported by Haiku (plus they drain batteries quickly on supported devices).

1 Like

I think you didn’t read past the mobile-first. Maybe this will give some more info: Cult of the Dead Cow unveils Veilid peer-to-peer project • The Register

And yes, I know it’s written in Rust.

Thanks for the article. If Veilid could be incorporated into BeShare or something similar, it might be useful after all. The article said that most of it was written in Rust but had some parts written in Python and Dart. There isn’t a Dart Native port for Haiku so hopefully only Flutter framework is used by the Dart portions.

1 Like

They talk about privacy and safety as their top priorities at Veilid and then they try to get visitors into that proprietary spyware walled-garden Discord at the footer or the contribution page.
Very funny - not.
At first the project looked really interesting to me,as I always use Tor and building more applications on top of such a network is a great idea,but now I can’t take that seriously.
Looks like they don’t know anything about privacy at all.
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord

They probably also use email, which is unsafe too. Are you reacting like this to all people using email too?
Pretty narrow minded if you ask me. Judge the code by itself, for what it might be useful for.

Email is an open standard,Discord is proprietary.
Email providers communicate to each other,Discord is a closed walled-garden.
Discord always spies on you,Gmail may do the same but there are privacy-friendly email providers like Disroot.org as well and you can choose which one you use,while you’re forced to use a centralized platform fully owned by one company if you use Discord.
Email may be insecure in several ways,and it’s not a perfect solution,but it’s also not malicious,like Discord is.
I learnt to ignore the fact that projects use Discord and just use them without communicating with them (obviously they don’t want me to communicate with them,otherwise they would use a open communication standard like Matrix,XMPP or IRC),but if a project advertises privacy and a decentralized peer to peer approach as their top priority,I can’t take them seriously if they use (and force contributors into) services that stand for exactly the opposite.

2 Likes

How so?

You can send me email, my email server will verify your authenticity via DKIM, DNSSEC, will encrypt the traffic via TLS. If anything this is more secure than “just” https because I am actually in control of my cert with DANE.

If you want you can also deposit your pgp key in dns so users use that.

How is this any less safe than https?

SMTP is insecure by default. All the other things you mention need to be used/installed either on the server or by the receiver, as a way of securing the email.

Open standard has nothing to do with secure. The implementation can still be insecure.
If you don’t want to use Discord, no problem. Simply don’t. It’s like saying you don’t trust someone because they use WhatsApp instead of Signal.
CDC displaying their Discord should not automatically mean their project or ideas are useless.

I was never talking about security but about privacy.
Discord is one of the most invasive spywares I’ve seen and even tracks which programs you’ve opened on your computer (see the link in my first reply).
As long as these clowns promote that spyware so actively (like the only way to contribute,it seems?),I can’t take a project about privacy seriously in any way,because it seems they understand nothing about privacy.

Normally I’d agree,if a project decides to use Discord I simply don’t participate but I may still use the software.
But again,if the people who create a privacy-focused software show that they don’t care about privacy at all,I think that project can’t be taken seriously in any way.

3 Likes

I dont think it is true anymore, considering all the shenagians what Exchange does.

Maybe, instead of derailing the thread by arguing about which platforms the project uses to communicate internally it would be interesting to look at the dependencies to see if it actually could be built on Haiku or not. I`m not up to speed in which state our rust port is, but the veilid development documentation lists Android SDK as a build requirement. This seems like a pretty big showstopper to me.

2 Likes

Same argument with http 1.0

Don’t see the difference.

Thanks. I just think it’s an interesting project (hence the offtopic category). It’s most likely not ready to be ported or even used on Haiku.
All this Discord bashing is unnecessary. If the project isn’t incorporating anything Discord, check it out (or don’t, for all I care). It’s not even related.

It says something about the mindset of the people developing it that they use a closed source system with no publicly accessible archives as their main way to communicate.

That does not give a good first impression, and it is also annoying (at best, if you still accept connecting to that service) or completely blocking (if you don’t want to create an account on a closed source service, if it doesn’t run on your computer, or if the software has accessibility problems). So, right from the start, people having disabilities or unusual operating systems are already excluded from the community

5 Likes