Vagrant box broken

I’m trying to boot HaikuOS with Vagrant, in order to conveniently setup virtual machines for developing system applications. However, the base box appears to be malfunctioning, lacking some kind of important metadata that Vagrant requires to boot successfully.

Vagrantfile:

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.box = "haikuos/x86_64"
end

Trace:

$ vagrant up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Box 'haikuos/x86_64' could not be found. Attempting to find and install...
    default: Box Provider: virtualbox
    default: Box Version: >= 0
==> default: Loading metadata for box 'haikuos/x86_64'
    default: URL: https://vagrantcloud.com/haikuos/x86_64
==> default: Adding box 'haikuos/x86_64' (v51054) for provider: virtualbox
    default: Downloading: https://vagrantcloud.com/haikuos/boxes/x86_64/versions/51054/providers/virtualbox.box
==> default: Successfully added box 'haikuos/x86_64' (v51054) for 'virtualbox'!
==> default: Importing base box 'haikuos/x86_64'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Checking if box 'haikuos/x86_64' is up to date...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: vagrant-haikuos-cpp_default_1509238386840_61299
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    default: Adapter 1: nat
==> default: Forwarding ports...
    default: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> default: Booting VM...
==> default: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...
    default: SSH address: 127.0.0.1:2222
    default: SSH username: vagrant
    default: SSH auth method: private key
    default: 
    default: Vagrant insecure key detected. Vagrant will automatically replace
    default: this with a newly generated keypair for better security.
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM...
    default: No guest additions were detected on the base box for this VM! Guest
    default: additions are required for forwarded ports, shared folders, host only
    default: networking, and more. If SSH fails on this machine, please install
    default: the guest additions and repackage the box to continue.
    default: 
    default: This is not an error message; everything may continue to work properly,
    default: in which case you may ignore this message.
The guest operating system of the machine could not be detected!
Vagrant requires this knowledge to perform specific tasks such
as mounting shared folders and configuring networks. Please add
the ability to detect this guest operating system to Vagrant
by creating a plugin or reporting a bug.

I’m using Vagrant 2.0.0 with a macOS Sierra host, by the way.

Everything looks ok in this log. As it says itself: " This is not an error message; everything may continue to work properly, in which case you may ignore this message."

You should be able to ssh into the machine and get a shell from that point. We don’t have guest additions yet for Vagrant, so as it says, no shared folders, etc. But that does not prevent from using Haiku, it’s only less convenient.

Funny story, I completely forgot about my Haiku Vagrant efforts :slight_smile:

Haiku under Vagrant won’t work until this PR is accepted:

Bug report with more details:

Maybe put a comment in about how you would like to run Haiku via Vagrant? They’ve been ignoring it for a while. :expressionless:

Maybe you should consider adding tests in https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/tree/master/test/unit/plugins/guests/haiku.

kallisti5, could you please publish the Packer source code for generating the Haiku Vagrant box?

I’m actually trying to build my own box for alpha 4, but for some reason the boot_command gets stuck on <leftAltOn><esc><leftAltOff> when navigating the DriveSetup toolbar. Maybe a nightly edition of Haiku features a hotkey for formatting partitions that doesn’t require Alt?

I didn’t use packer. I created a Haiku VM in virtualbox and libvirt, customized them lightly (changing user -> vagrant, injecting keys, adding the sshd user), then converted them into vagrant containers.

oh, also. I wouldn’t focus much on Alpha4. It is really outdated… (like outdated enough I think we need to remove the download links) The nightly images have a LOT more to them (including our newish package management)

1 Like

ii said this constantly :v people are confused with the link, is too old!

1 Like

If there’ll be no Beta 1 release in 2018 it is better to just place a link straight to the nightly builds page. Alpha 4.1 is how many years old by now?

1 Like

A ridiculous amount of time. For a version, with so many commits between .

I prefer to not let that happen until beta1 is out. Otherwise people will be happy with nightlies and we will never have a beta1. It is a reminder for devs that “hey, it’s been 5 years without a release, what the hell are you doing?”