Using partitions as folder it is posible?

I know, haiku is not linux but, can do the partitions as a folder? It is really useful, if i have a new hd and want use it in /home .

Âżno lo permite el mandato mount?

1 Like

Sort of. In /boot/home/config/settings/boot/UserBootscript, use the mountvolume command to ensure that your partition is mounted. Then just symlink it to wherever you like.

1 Like

I think this won’t work for /home.

1 Like

For /boot/home it is a bit tricky because you would have to do it very early in the boot process and we don’t have an “fstab” like linux.

What I do is just not store my data in /boot/home. I have several other volumes (/Dev, /Media, …) where I put my files.

1 Like

Me too. I actually tend to use home as a “personal root”, There’s already home/Downloads, but I add things like home/WORK and home/TEMP (the latter tending to get stuffed full of things that would otherwise go into home!). Quite often these are links to other partitions or folders there. If you keep putting things in home by default it quickly becomes un-navigable.

1 Like

Interesting.

Keep /boot/home for the stuff needed by the system and applications.

Put files and media in other folders/volumes.

Are there advantages in using a partition rather than folders rooted to /home?

I had BFS corruption some years ago, so i have now plenty different partition to store my files:

• Haiku for the OS
  • Data for “home”
  • Ports for porting work, haikuports and stuff
  • Projects for private projects.

It makes me feel safe and in the same time it gives me the power to efficiently separate the work-fields.

4 Likes

You can use partitions as folders. You need to link them to your desktop or any other writeable folder.

I use most times a other partition to out source folders like /home/… Downloads, mai, expand (extracted files)

I never change the complete home folder. But if it is possible it need to be inizialised with the bfs

Beshare folders are good for outsourcing too, because i can use them on more systems at the same time.

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/dev/lelldorin-yab-script_eng.html
http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/inet/beshare_tips_eng.html#variable-shared-download

You can also disable queries on volumes where you don’t need them, and get a faster filesystem access on these.

2 Likes

The examples given in this thread involve more than four partitions.

It looks like a GPT disk, which allows up to 128 partitions, is advantageous over a MBR disk even with the use of an extended partition divided up in logical volumes. Is-this a correct interpretation?

GPT is there to fix the limitations of the old MBR format. In fact it is required on large drives (> 2TB), and recommended for new installs.

There is a catch however: we currently don’t have a version of Bootman compatible with GPT (installing bootman erases one of the GPT copies, and modifying the GPT erases bootman). So if you want to use Haiku’s boot menu, you will have to stick with MBR (there are tricks but I would recommend against them because they are fragile).

1 Like

I have followed the confusing trail of MBR/GPT/Large Drives/Advanced Disk Format.

From what I could understand, Legacy BIOS supports booting from MBR up to a 2 TB drive. For a drive larger than that, UEFI booting from GPT is the only robust option to enable the use of the entire space. There appears to be more flexibility with respect to non-booting data drives - as long as the operating system supports the GPT format.

Given that GPT and ADF came about at the same time, circa 2008-2009, it would have been great if the Primary
GPT Header would have been aligned with the first 4096 bytes boundary. This would have meant that an ADF drive in the 512 bytes per sector emulation mode would have had LBA 1 through 7 being unallocated and thus usable for any boot code overflowing from the MBR (LBA 0). This would have also worked on a drive smaller than 2 TB with physical sectors of 512 bytes.

This unallocated 3,584 bytes space would likely have been large enough for Boot Manager. However, this would likely not have helped the many boot loaders accustomed to stash their stage 1.5 code within the 32,382 bytes of the legacy MBR Gap (a.k.a. DOS Compatibility Region).

I came across an informative article by Rod Smith about Hybrid MBRs ( Hybrid MBRs ). In the last paragraph of the article, there is the mention of an alternative form of Hybrid MBR ( http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2010/e09127r3-EDD-4_Hybrid_MBR_boot_code_annex.pdf ) which had an interesting tidbit:

The Unified EFI Forum has added a new Attribute value in the GUID Partition Table (GPT) disk layout to mark a GPT partition as containing a legacy BIOS bootable partition. This is documented as an errata on UEFI-2.3. New GPT-cognizant “hybrid” MBR boot code is responsible for searching through the GPT to find the bootable partition, rather than selecting one of the partitions in the MBR partition table.

This might be an avenue worth further exploration.

Another avenue, which has likely been explored and found fragile, would be to make use of the unallocated space which may exist between the end of the Primary GPT Partition Table and the First Partition when aligned on a 1 MiB boundary. Many operating systems, including Windows, will align the partitions on GPT drives on 1 MiB boundaries for performance reasons.