Using anyboot image directly on HDD partition without USB

Hi, can anybody tell me if I can use anyboot installation image directly on HDD partition withtout using of USB? I mean using dd directly on second partition because I’m unable to boot from USB stick (even my laptop says that it supported). Can I copy this image to the free partition make it bootable and use it?
Thanks.

Yes, I’ve done this quite a few times.
Just use the dd command to copy the image from wherever you have it to your free partition.
Then use makebootabletiny (http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/booting_to_haiku_from_grub_only_works_when_haiku_installed_in_a_primary_partition#comment-10349) the partition bootable.
One problem is that your the image will be “embedded” in something like 600 MB irrespective of what your free partition size is, so your free space will be very limited.
However, there’s an easy way to overcome this problem.
If you don’t know about it, or can’t find it by searching on this forum, just post.

Thanks for quick reply but please tell me more:

1. About makebootabletiny - it's a Linux application can I use for the same reason any Windows tool like Partition Magic? I know that dd is available for Windows so there is not a problem but makebootabletiny is not.
  2. How I overcome the problem with the size?
  3. Is the anyboot right image? I somewhere see that people using images for VM...
Thanks.

Sorry, but my Windows knowledge/experience/interest is very limited. However, I very much doubt that Partition Magic would allow you to make a bfs partition bootable.
If you cannot find a Windows version of makebootabletiny, you could always make a small Linux partition, use it to make your bfs partition bootable and scrub the Linux partition.
This would, of course, be very much easier from a Haiku partition where you can directly use the makebootable utility to make any bfs partition bootable. Indeed, you can initialize any partition to bfs before you make it bootable.
Alternatively, you can use the Haiku Live CD or USB-key to do the same job on any partition.
Now, the need to use makebootabletiny came from my experience with much earlier versions of Haiku (pre-alpha).
I have the impression that dd’ing the image now (with Haiku R1 Alpha 2 or later nightlys) will actually provide a bootable partition.
Certainly, when I dd’ed the image to a USB-key, it was directly bootable without using makebootable or makebootabletiny.
You’ll have to check it to confirm.
The problem with the partition size can be removed as explained here http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/resolved_can_we_get_haiku_alpha_1_image_larger_600mb#comment-12523)
I’m not sure what you mean when you ask if the anyboot is the correct image. This is what I’ve used for all the installs I’ve done with Haiku R1 Alpha2 and it’s the one I’d recommend to you.

The easiest way to install Haiku is from LiveCD or USB key! Go with LiveCD method unless you have no CD/DVD drives! dd is the hardest method for installing Haiku and getting right size partition.

Anyboot image is raw+iso together. You can dd anyboot to partition or burn to CD and boot it. Sometimes better to rename it iso because some burning programs don’t handle anyboot properly. Raw images are meant for only dd’ing to partition. ISO for only burning to CD. Anyboot does both of these.

With dd’ing, you’re stuck with around 650MB partition size no matter how big it really is. To overcome this, you need to create two partitions. First one to dd the image to. 2nd one to reinstall Haiku to by booting the 1st Haiku partition.

Makebootable must be run whenever you have multiple partitions on the drive to create the right partition offset.

Burn ISO or anyboot to CD. Change BIOS to boot CD/DVD drive 1st. That will boot Haiku from CD and allow you to install to partition.

Hi - thanks to all to replayes but this post I’m writting from the Haiku so no more help is needed :slight_smile: . Thanks.