Using a USB DAC

Hello,

I have recently downloaded and installed Haiku on a USB stick, and I extremely impressed. It was all much more straightforward and problem-free than Linux. However, there is a problem.

I can’t find any way to direct sound direct to a USB port with a DAC attached to it. My computer, for this purpose, is an original Asus EEE PC 701, and in its native mode (Xandros Linux) it will happily send sound to the DAC.

The version of Haiku I am using is the old Alpha 4. Possibly a more up-to-date build would do the trick.

I am determined to use the 701 to play my music collection, and it would be great to be able to do so in Haiku.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’d be happy to be corrected, but to my knowledge USB audio has still not been implemented. It needs the isochronous transfer mode that doesn’t yet exist in Haiku. I have the same frustration, as I have a Behringer UCA202 that works fine with my Linux partition but not in Haiku.

Thanks.

I too would be very pleased to be told that you are wrong, but sadly I am sure your are not. However, despite this setback, I will give Haiku a go on my modern laptop. It’s got all the strengths of Linux, and, except for being unfinished, none of the weaknesses.

One of the problems of modern life is the over-abundance of choice. Nobody can work out which mobile phone contract would suit them best because there are so many of them. This is especially true of Linux, where instead of sorting out problems (and there are quite a lot, whatever the blowhards say) people wander off and start a new distro.

It looks as though I am stuck with it, though for the moment, at least as far as playing music on my EEE PC is concerned.

Yes. Despite its few lacks, Haiku is my OS of choice (though not forgetting BeOS(!), which I still use on my desktop box because I’m so used to it – and it’s fine for email and most web browsing). I have Ubuntu on another partition of my laptop, but it tends to annoy rather than please me, so I only fire it up for things like viewing BBC website videos.

Do you have no other audio on your Asus? I can at least get reasoably quality out of the phone jack into my HiFi.

There is certainly a headphone socket, but I am rather wedded to the idea of getting the best quality possible. I am therefore resigned to tolerating Linux in order to have good music reproduction.

However, I also need to settle on an OS for the Lenovo laptop, which has a dud hard disk. Currently I am using Linux on that too, but will now switch to Haiku, provided I can get it to work. It’s four years old and I don’t anticipate a problem.

Like you I also have a Behringer UCA202. I am trying to resist the temptation to buy a more expensive one because I suspect that there will be no audible improvement.