Updating the supported features wiki page

There is a supported features page in the wiki, but looks a bit outdated. It would be a nice point of reference for people, who wants to glance at what is supported and what is not. Can knowledgeable people update this, or at least add their prior work info?

2 Likes

Use the lists provided by BeSly BeSly --- Haisly or apgreimann https://www.haiku-computer-list.org

The list on the development wiki is meant to list what drivers we have, and give some examples of the hardware that can be used with each driver. It is not meant to provide a complete list of supposedly supported hardware (that would be an endless list), and also provide no info about wether the hardware actually works or not.

The development wiki is meant mostly for developers. An hardware compatibility list is much better handled by the larger user community, and besly and apgreimann have made a great job of it so far.

Yes, my point is for developers to update the list with the newly implemented drivers, translators, file systems etc. Maybe renaming the page would make it more on point.

The page is essentiually a copy of the directory tree of https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/kernel/. Is it really helpful to have a developer spend time copying a directory listing to a wiki page? Seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

There os also the hardware list "newer hardware ", collected with our SystemAnalysisTool:

https://besly.de/index.php/de/hardware/besly-system-analysis-tool

That’s a bit short thinking if you ask me. People are curious about what Haiku is capable of, and these wiki pages allow more details and notes, e.g. which file systems have read and write support, what translator allows which capabilities etc. These are details one can only find out via trying out Haiku and stumbling upon issues (or asking one by one on various support channels).

Good documentation is essential for being a developer friendly software. If you think spending time on these stuff is not necessary, that’s your opinion and I respect that.

the question is, need a developer spend time into it? Is there a admin of the Wiki? Can the documentation team help out here? Could be something parallel to the guids and can have many good links to the guids included then.

We need more links between the documentation/help sources.

wiki >< guides >< knowledge base

Yes. Developers knows the code status best and a good developer ought to document what’s implemented as soon as possible with great detail.

The problem is, the count of developers are smal and haiku at beta state. They spend there spare time to build things and fixiert bugs. Documentation takes many time if it is complicated to to.

Here can help a internal development App or online mask (database) to add stuff and info faster. Other ones can take then there info to add them to the Wiki or other docs.

This is not what I asked.

Do you think this wiki page, which is just a copy of some directory names from our sourcecode, is good documentation? I don’t think it is. It gives no useful information to developers (who know where to look in the sourcecode) and it also gives no useful information to users (it just lists driver names, and you still have no idea if your hardware will be supprted by one of these drivers).

So, I don’t think this page is useful. This does not mean I think we should not have any way for users to see what’s supported. Just that I think this page is not going to work for that purpose.

I have no idea about which hardware is supported. I know what I tested on my own systems, and that’s about it. So, my experience on hardware support does not come from being a developer, it comes from being a user. Which is why I pointed you to what I consider to be good and useful documentation: a database of hardware populated by users, after testing said hardware with Haiku.

Developers can answer follow-up questions: this hardware does not work, is it because of a completely missing driver, or a broken driver? But most people won’t care about this kind of subtleties. They just want to know if the hardware works or not. And the only way to know this, is to test a lot of hardware, and populate some page with the results of this testing.

It comes with the job. If developers don’t bother with it, a non-technical person will write incomplete info and will distract developers’ more time by constantly asking questions and corrections.

It’s fine if no one bothers with it, it will just make newbies’ job harder to understand stuff.

Thats it, if it is a job i agree with you, but here are developers who do there work in there free time and not as job.

But yes we need more documentation and informations. The right way need to be found here.

And we need more people have fun to share there expierience.

Yes? I don’t think you are iterating on the correct part, I’ve already stated this above as well. I’m sorry but it looks like I failed to convey what I meant, we are talking about different things.

It’s an expression, not meant to be taken literally.

1 Like

Why wasting time?

Programmer do programming and comment their changes and new stuff.

Haiku fans and people without programming skills can do the rest!

Did I waste my time?

Personally I would have fun with these kind of things if I could run an overall system benchmark app.

For instance when working on 2d acceleration I was very fond of BeRoMeter. For 3d acceleration I used quake2’s timedemos and GL teapot (coarse) but that can nolonger be done since it is now forced to retrace sync. I would love to see that removed, or disabled via an option in the apps menu.

Disk and network benchmarks would be cool too.

Maybe this all is a bit off topic, but tools would benefit, that I am sure of. :smiley:

6 Likes