Unable to boot in real hardware

On Vmware Player it boots up just fine, but when I formatted my USB drive using balenaEtcher (and put Haiku onto the USB drive), and attempted to boot into Haiku, my PC would not boot into Haiku at all and will just reboot. Does Haiku only support UEFI systems? Cause mine uses legacy BIOS?

Haiku supports legacy boot via CSM or BIOS.

What is the exact filename of the image you imaged to your USB drive?

UEFI if anything only has recent support in Haiku and it still can’t install to an existing system UEFI partiton as far as I know even though Haiku is capable of booting from one if properly configured.

That’s good.

It’s called haiku-release-anyboot.iso

Oh I see, well I was attempting to boot into my BIOS system, it would not boot into it at all for some reason. I never had this sort of issue with Linux, so not too sure what is going on, any ideas?

First thing to try would be to a nightly anyboot… since it is likely a USB3 bug that has been recently fixed or potentially some other recently fixed issue. You can hold the spacebar to get into the boot menu also and potentially dump logs, or set boot parameters that could aid you in figuring out the problem on screen logging for instance if it is getting that far…

Also note that when you use Etcher to burn Haiku to a USB drive it will just be a bootable install disk basically… since the live system will have very little free disk space, fine for testing but if you want to actually run Haiku from USB you can use the Installer a booted Haiku system to install the current system to your USB drive in a usable way.

If you are on an AMD Ryzen system it could also be fixed in recent nighties.

Where can I get nightly from?

I just want to test it to see if it runs fine on my PC or not before actually installing it…

I have an intel CPU and nVidia graphics card.

From an unnecessarily buried link from the download page:
https://download.haiku-os.org/nightly-images/x86_gcc2_hybrid/

I’m aware… but if you get that working you’ll want to acutally install some software on your USB drive and you won’t get far attempting that without using that USB drive to install to a second USB drive etc… so you have ample space to work with.

1 Like

How do I know which one is for 64 bit?

Either 32bit or 64bit Haiku will run on 64 bit x86 CPUs… however you can’t run 32bit software on 64bit Haiku just yet, so if you want to run older BeOS software, 32bit Haiku is the way to go.

64bit Haiku is a little faster and can access more ram, though that isn’t too big of a deal IMO.

The link I gave above is for 32bit GCC2 Hybrid which is backwards compatible… use the anyboot image for USB or CD. The raw image is really only for dding to HDD directly etc… or booting with QEMU.

I want to test out 64-bit is there a link for the the 64 bit. I will give both 64 bit and 32 bit a trye but yeah?

Choose your poison :stuck_out_tongue: https://download.haiku-os.org/nightly-images/

1 Like

Not sure what platform you’re using Etcher from (I see it supports Mac, Windows, and Gnu/Linux), but it could just be a glitch in how it writes it.

If you’re on Mac, your best bet would be to find the disk identifiers (like /dev/disk1 from Disk Utility), unmount, then use dd from the Terminal.

And for Haiku, Gnu/Linux, a BSD, etc. I’d recommend dd as well.

And finally, for Windows I’d definitely give Win32DiskImager a try. You may need to rename the iso to img though.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion I will give that a shot if this fails.

We do not automatically install the loader on the ESP, no; but the UEFI loader itself is actually much more reliable and even preferred to the BIOS loader.