UEFI: creating Haiku specific boot entry

Some users reported the efi file needs to be renamed to bootx64.efi to being able to recognized by the EFI firmware, but actually you can boot an arbitary named efi file if you create a Haiku specific boot entry. I used this way and now Haiku shows up in the boot priority list and boots just fine:

3 Likes

Not every UEFI implementation follows the specifications completely and correctly. The UEFI shell doesn’t work on every implementation. And some firmware indeed expects ONE and the same filename. No boot choice.

1 Like

If editing efi vars for some odd readon does not work renaming it still the worse option. Instead install refind and let it do the lifting.

If you rename the loader it will make any possible improvement, say versioned bootloader, much more difficult for you.

1 Like

I dislike refind, because it fills the otherwise black screen with grey and then again fills it with black before it shows the text menu on my computer. Also it is slow.

It was a suggestion for the conplaint of “but my efi is broken”

if it isnt you don’t need to do anything

My refind uefi is working now after reinstall windows 11…

1 Like

Of course some people don’t like Refind. But it is a great tool and makes booting multiple OSs on an EFI machine quite easy and elegant.

2 Likes