TuneTracker problem

You’re right it’s on USB2, I misread the numbers.

I ordered a card from Newegg! So far, it has been working for the past 30 hours with the USB wiring!

I’m a bit confused also by that statement that it has been working for 30 hours, when did you order the card??

@marrieto only commented that you should try a Hardware Serial card 21 Hours ago.

The card was ordered Sunday afternoon. After fighting with the computer for 2 days, I finally got it to see the correct USB port Saturday night. As of 9:15 this morning, it was still seeing the correct port. Now, when I go back after noon, it may not! It could go 3-4-5 days and work, then, just stop seeing the port. The previous TuneTracker computer I had worked with the PCI card. Here’s hoping this one will too.

1 Like

I will try that this afternoon! Thanks.

OK, it is labeled “KEZM.zip”.

Thanks Bruce

AGMS and me took a look at that

I see you’re on Haiku hrev50562

It seems the USB device is still plugged in, even now that you’re using the PCI-slot based serial port:

046d:c31c /dev/bus/usb/2/1 "Logitech, Inc." "Keyboard K120" ver. 6400
046d:c077 /dev/bus/usb/2/2 "Logitech, Inc." "M105 Optical Mouse" ver. 7200
0403:6001 /dev/bus/usb/2/4 "Future Technology Devices International, Ltd" "FT232 Serial (UART) IC" ver. 0600

@pulkomandy note how the device 0403/6001 seems to differ from the one I cited to you previously (which was from another station, and more representative of what we ship, from what I faintly recall Dane mentionning)

AGMS pointed out there are ominous looking USB errors in the syslog:
KERN: usb_serial: FTDI 8U232AM serial converter (0x0403/0x6001) added
KERN: usb_serial: probing device: 0x0000/0x0000

KERN: usb_serial: failed to queue initial interrupt

There’s also tons of this (as usual in many syslog I see)
KERN: check_sense: encountered DEFERRED ERROR - bye, bye

I used to think it was due to a CD being inserted in the optical drive, but I wonder.

Anyway.
As noted, if the PCI device solves the problem that existed with the USB device, that will be very nice!

That log entry is written by SCSI code (the ATAPI CD drives commonly used today are essentially SCSI) which won’t likely be relevant to a problem with a serial adaptor.

USB isn’t ideal for serial data anyway as it’s a byte oriented (serial) vs packet oriented (USB)… and that’s with a perfectly working driver. Basically USB has higher latency and potentially CPU overhead. It’s pretty rare that this rears it’s head but it can.

While most devices don’t care if you ever try to do certain things over USB it can be noticeable (possible to work around though usually). A PCI or PCIE serial card should have zero issues if it has a working driver though. I might pick up an 8 port digi neo card to test out (cheap under $100 for card/cable pair on ebay but about $400 new + $70 cable from digi) it would be useful if you wanted to control RS232 devices from one Haiku box. I also have a 4 port FTDI USB cable that doesn’t seem to work yet in Haiku.

I’m late to this party and I probably won’t be adding anything pertinent, but our company sells a USB to serial adapter that also uses the FTDI chipset for use with modems. We also had a problem with the adapter not working after a reboot or device removal/re-insertion (our software wouldn’t be able to find the modem, which was a real big deal).

Anyway, it turned out that Windows would see the adapter as a “new” adapter and assign it a new COM port. We worked around the issue by checking to see if the modem was on the originally saved COM port and, if it wasn’t, to go through the COM ports to find out where it was.

Yes this is what I suggested earlier but the thing is you have to have a known device name to search for it… I guess you could save the device name when it is selected initially and search for it if it every disappears. I’m not sure this is the issue Bruce was having as @ttcoder pointed it there is an odd error message in his syslog.

KERN: usb_serial: failed to queue initial interrupt

I have to do similar things with some embedded boards I use (AVR and pic32 based).

1 Like

YES, the USB is still being used because I won’t have the card till the end of the week at the earliest. It failed this morning after running for 2 days, so the computer is currently OFF in hopes that it will reset this afternoon.

I sincerely believe that humanity as a whole would save hundreds of thousands of man-hours of wasted work, if we all collectively just threw all USB-to-serial cables into the trash. Not for nothing, I have several dual and quad PCI serial cards at home, but exactly 0 USB-to-serial cables.

The problem with serial-to-USB adapters is that they mostly work. Only MOSTLY. Even those people who swear by these adapters will admit that they have a stash of older laptops with serial ports “for those special situations when the USB adapter doesn’t… work.”

That said, the PCI serial card may still not solve OP’s problem with TuneTracker, but removing a serial-to-USB adapter from the equation should make it much easier to troubleshoot the issue.

1 Like

It’s pretty much all I have left! The computer has “lost” the USB connection over and over today!

Is there an ATAPI drive connected?

Almost certainly as that’s what they advertise http://www.tunetrackersystems.com/commandcenter_packages.html

It was sitting silent this morning. Dead air because it would not send the switcher back to the network. The PCI DB9 card has arrived. We shall see if this cures the problem.

1 Like

OK… The card is installed and the TuneTracker computer sees it. It has fired via the switcher twice as it should. So, we shall see.

IF it works, I am GRATEFUL for all of the suggestions and help. This has driven me insane since March. Thank you all!!

IF it fails, I will be back for more suggestions…

7 Likes

Stop by any time! Haiku isn’t just for audio after all!

Hopefully we can become a bit more stable in the coming year as well (anticipating Beta 2).

Agreed on usb-serial connections. They aren’t reliable. @ttcoder, I highly suggest you look into upgrading your supply chain for future sales. Thanks for all your great work. Right now, TT is the go-to product to mention when people ask about the viability of Haiku in production environments. Your product has been and will continue to be instrumental in marketing Haiku for production environments. Im glad to see you still in business after all these years since Be Inc. folded.

4 Likes