Trying to install Haiku along side Windows XP

I’m installing to a 32-bit bare metal machine. I made a partition on the drive and then installed it to there but it doesn’t show up in the boot menu.

1 Like

Hi.
If you mean Windows XP boot menu, it will not appear there on its own.

An easier way would be to install grub , and configure that to manage booting the different installed OSes.

Otherwise, you could follow tutorials for dual booting XP and Linux using XP bootloader, where you edit the boot.ini file to load the necessary bootsector from a file.

I have grub4dos but it only has Windows and a Version of puppy linux which is no longer on there. Be cool to triboot all 3

1 Like

Also trying to set up triple boot. Windows 10, haiku 64, haiku 32. No interest in grub though. I’m trying to get it set up using Haiku boot menu.

1 Like

Wonder if you could to Windows, Linux, and Haiku on the Haiku boot menu

1 Like

I did attempt to install Ubuntu after windows, to test that. But after installing Haiku, I am unable to install boot menu to the SSD. You are currently using GRUB?

yeah, idk how to set it up. only video I used with info on it is no longer up

1 Like

Haiku has a tutorial somewhere about adding Haiku to grub. In the installation instructions. Did you look at those at all?

no I just heard about setting up stuff for grub via a puppy linux installation tutorial. had some old guy installing it on his laptop

If you scroll down you will see a grub section. I have not done this though.

1 Like

I triple boot Win/Linux/Haiku (well, I have both 64 and 32 bits versions of Haiku, so… I quad-boot?).

All installed on the same drive. Bear in mind, what I’m about to write applies to PCs using MBR/BIOS/Legacy boot, not UEFI.

This is what always worked for me:

Assuming you have 1 drive (“/dev/sda” on Linux) with 4 primary partitions (just to keep it simple):

1 - Win (XP to 10 is what I’ve tried, and works). “/dev/sda1”
2 - Linux. “/dev/sda2”
3 - Haiku. “/dev/sda3”
4 - Data. “/dev/sda4”

First install Windows normally. For Win10… make sure to disable Fastboot before proceeding further.

Then install Linux, but make sure you use EXT4 to format “/dev/sda2”, and be sure to install Grub NOT on “/dev/sda”, but on “/dev/sda2” instead! (this doesn’t works for GRUB if you use XFS, for example). I have no issues using this on Xubuntu, for example, but not all Linux installers allows this.

Then install Haiku normally.

From Haiku’s Terminal, call “BootManager”, and follow the simple steps to install Haiku boot menu. You end up with a simple “Win/Linux/Haiku” menu at boot, that easily chain-loads Win/Linux/Haiku boot loaders.

You can always install another Haiku version on that “data” (/dev/sda4) partition if you want. Say, to have both beta4 and nightly installs, or 64 and 32 bit versions. Just make sure to re-run “BootManager” from the Terminal, so you add your new Haiku installation to the boot menu.

For me, this is the simplest setup possible. Only issue is… not all Linux distro let you select where to install GRUB (or use a less intrusive boot loader that you can just chain load instead).

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

I used that kind of setup for a while and it’s really the best solution if you can boot from MBR. It’s even making access to each OS boot menu easier if you put a delay before automatic boot.

Please don’t tell people to use grub! Especially not if they don’t use linux.

If i remember correctly Haiku already has a multiboot bootloader you cab install for this case, does it work?

2 Likes

On another laptop with a pre-installed Windows, I prepared a partition for Haiku, installed that and installed the Haiku bootmanager, it picked up the Windows install and added it to the bootmenu, so shouldn’t be too hard (no UEFI there).

yeah I do have 1 drive. idk how to install puppy linux to a partition tho instead of having it be a file on one of the other partitions?

Last time I did this, I simply opened bootman in Haiku and added the Windows partition. There should also be third-party tools for Windows to do the same thing, if you want to boot Haiku from Windows’ boot loader instead. Neither OS need anything special, unlike Linux where you have to specify which kernel to boot etc. There is absolutely no reason to mess with GRUB.

I dont really care what as long as it works