Trying to get Haiku running on an original 2009 MacBook Air

I’ve been spending some time trying to get Haiku running on my original 2009 MacBook Air1,1**:**

I first prepared a USB with the x86_64 nightly build (hrev60114). The Mac sees the USB and I can get into Haiku’s boot loader, including the “Boot fallback Haiku” option. From there, though, things get interesting.
Normal boot results in a black screen. I then tried going into the boot options and enabling Use fail-safe graphics, but after continuing the boot the machine just hangs. I also tried fail-safe graphics + Disable ACPI, with essentially the same result - the boot process starts, but eventually freezes without giving me anything particularly useful on screen.

Thinking this might simply be a 64-bit compatibility problem on such early Intel Apple hardware, I also prepared a USB with the 32-bit hrev60114 nightly build. Unfortunately that introduced a different problem: the boot environment appears, but Haiku itself doesn’t seem to show up as a bootable system in the same way.

Has anyone here ever successfully booted Haiku on a MacBookAir1,1, or on similarly early Intel Macs with Apple’s slightly unusual EFI implementation? I have also installed rEFInd but the result is still the same with both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the system (64-bit fails with black screen and 32-bit is not even listed as a boot option).

I’d especially be interested in knowing:

  • whether there’s a particular Haiku revision that works better on these machines,
  • whether I should be using the 32-bit or 64-bit build,
    whether there are any boot-loader/kernel options worth trying besides fail-safe graphics and disabling ACPI
  • whether this generation of MacBook Air has any known GPU/EFI/ACPI issue that prevents Haiku from booting completely

At this point getting Haiku to actually reach the desktop on this tiny old Air has become a challenge in itself. :slight_smile:

Try disabling SMP. I have to do that on my 2017 MacBook but not on my 2011-12 MacBook Air, so YMMV. It’s pre SPI so your keyboard and pad should work.

Good luck and if you have a running Haiku pull the log off the usb stick to check where it is failing.

Another thing go into the boot options menu and turn of the messages on screen. It can help seeing where it chokes.

I have a similar problem on a 17" MacBook Pro 1,2 (Core Duo, first intel generation, 32 bit)

I get Modes: None in the Bootloader and the screen stays black after the bootloader.

I have tried adding a vesa file with the resolution “mode 1680 1050 32” in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa but it did not help. It is an ATI card, btw

If anyone has ideas or insights, help would be appreciated

(booting via refind)

Can you get to the boot options menu? If so I would start by setting fallback video mode and under the debug options check enable ‘onscreen debug output’ and I personally check disable paging until I need to get down to the nitty gritty. That will allow you to see where it hangs and you can disable other options until you can boot to desktop. Could take a while as I believe the 32bit has a lot more options than the 64bit. yMMV as I haven’t played with 32bit in about a year.