Triple boot (dual boot) with Haiku, Windows and Debian. Need some advices before do it

Hi,

I want to create a triple boot with Windows xp or 7, Debian 10 or 11 and last Haiku Beta 3 but I don’t really know the order of installation process. I know that Haiku recognize Windows XP and Windows 7 install but what about Debian?

I need advice here. You are welcome.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have something similar on my old laptop.
In the order of installation:
Windows 8.1
Fedora (started with 32, now it’s on 35)
Haiku nightly

I’m using EFI boot with grub, it recognizes Windows Boot Manager and it was also not very difficult to add Haiku to grub’s boot menu. There’s a grub snippet on haiku-os.org that can be added to /etc/grub.d/40_custom.

1 Like

Hi!
I don’t must installing the standard Haiku Boot menu in this case? I usually do it when I dualboot with Windows.

there might be a simpler or more official way of doing this… I followed the ‘Advanced Install’ from UEFI Booting Haiku | Haiku Project i.e. copy Haiku loader to the EFI partition. Once that’s done, I’m able to boot Haiku using grub.
So in the grub boot menu I have Fedora 35, Windows Boot Manager, Haiku.

1 Like

The way I tamed Linux when I used to dual-boot was by putting GRUB specifically on the Linux root (/) partition. This way I was able to add Linux to Haiku’s own bootloader with no fuss.

Nowadays I just use a drive bay and swap SSDs when I want to boot into a different OS.

Install Haiku using EFI. Then, in the 40_custom file under /etc/grub.d/, use this entry for Haiku and update-grub, changing the “hd5,1” to the appropriate drive (in this case, it’s my fifth hard drive. For you, it may be something else). 1 means the first partition is the EFI partition.

menuentry “Haiku Nightly” {
insmod part_gpt
insmod chain
set root=’(hd5,1)’
chainloader /efi/boot/BOOTx64.efi
}

4 Likes

Also have in mind to set every OS to its own hard disk (if possible), or just give a hard disk only to haiku.