To BE a Haiku enthusiast

Is it worth to be with you, in the community, you promise a lot you give little, only some Linux warpers (thanks posix), don’t you remember that NewOS is a part of KernelNT (yes Mr. G. worked for m$), now I see that there is a return to gcc2, it was supposed to be a system for old computers, is a crap that does not want to work, let alone stable.
There are people who invested their time in writing programming for BE, sometimes also commercially, I understand the idea of an open source system.
If you would think a moment would give more courage to conquer the market.To be an enthusiast Haiku

Edited by autor

Sounds like “the world’s most accurate translator” made gibberish of your post. Or it was gibberish from the start. Also quite possible…

3 Likes

Is NewOS part of NT? When did that happen? It’s supposed to be a rewrite of the original Be kernel.

1 Like

I thought NT was based on an ancient UNIX kernel rebranded as New Technology (NT).

I believe NT traces its roots of inspiration back to VMS.

https://www.itprotoday.com/compute-engines/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story

2 Likes

Yes my understanding is WNT is VMS+1 (look at the letters)

1 Like

NewOS has nothing at all to do with Windows NT.

4 Likes

To be a Haiku enthusiast…as I am…and proud to be. I am a longtime user of BeOS and Zeta OS (which I use daily)…so supporting Haiku was a natural fit for me. I am amazed how far Haiku has come since Alpha 1, when I first tested it.

I am sure most your comments were not related to the BeOS/Zeta OS/Haiku user’s sphere. Definitely off tangent…anyway…why am I a Haiku enthusiast?

I love the clean user interface…none of newish UI crap like MacOS or Win 10/11. Easy and integrated system and application updates. Working in Haiku is fun and not visually ‘busy’ (if you choose to be). I have migrated most of my work flows in ZetaOS into Haiku and created new ones for software that does not exist for Zeta. So, I continue testing and working most of the software that I need to use daily and I am very pleased with the results so far.

So come on board and have fun!! I do!!!

4 Likes

NewOS was an OS written by Travis Geiselbrecht and had nothing to do with BeOS or Haiku directly, save that he worked at Be, till OpenBeOS selected it as their kernel. He wrote it for fun, not to recreate BeOS.

The NT kernel was written by a team at Microsoft who was headed by Dave Cutler and who had mostly worked on VMS at DEC, but it is a stretch to say NT is based on VMS. It is based on the experience of the team, but then Android is developed by a team who has members that have previously worked on BeOS (Dianne Hackbourne, Ficus Kirkpatrick both come to mind), and has tonnes of BeOS concepts in it (Binder being the most obvious one, but the whole Intent system is very similar to how the BeOS messaging subsystem works), and we don’t go around saying that Android is BeOS.

If you work on two similar things, some overlap will happen. It is natural. But it doesn’t mean A is always based on B. Influences are not directly linked to prior art.

6 Likes

So, looks like Travis works at Google and is part of the team developing Fuschia. He also worked at Danger, who made the Sidekick. Andy Rubin took the concepts from Danger to Google and that formed the genesis of Android. So, yeah - Android owes a lot to BeOS indirectly. Travis also worked at Palm on WebOS.

4 Likes