Thinkpads compatible with Beta2?

Yeah I took your suggestion and dug out some old crusty SanDisk USB sticks and they worked fine. I’ve never had an issue with microcenter drives before doing ISO images, weird that several of them didn’t work.

1 Like

I saw that issue was found but I figure I’d through my Thinkpad results in here for folks searching. On both my T430 and t420p everything seems to work but audio and multi-monitor (or any use of the external display ports).

Trying on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3 here (Core i7 8th Gen), running from a USB stick. Trying Beta2 x64 and there’s a lot of problems. I have to switch to Legacy Boot mode in the BIOS, UEFI just causes it to hang. With the legacy bios, it still kernel panics at boot with “PANIC: calculated irq routing doesn’t match bios for PCI 8:0:0”, but I can get around that by typing ‘continue’. It does the same again with “PCI 7:0:0”, and typing ‘continue’ will finally start the boot process.

So many problems though. I can’t get a proper 16:9 resolution (this ThinkPad has Intel UHD 620 integrated graphics) so I’m stuck on a stretched 4:3 resolution. I was hoping to get just 1280 x 720p, even though this display is twice that resolution, but no luck.

WiFi doesn’t work at all (it briefly sees my WiFi network but never accepts a password), so I have to use wired ethernet.

The built-in trackpad barely works, it won’t recognize the dedicated hardware mouse buttons & the Trackpoint (red nub) doesn’t work at all). I can left-click by pressing or tapping the trackpad, but I can’t get a right-click at all - I had to plug-in an external wired USB mouse to really get anywhere.

Sound doesn’t seem to work: “Could not find the mixer”, and Bluetooth didn’t work for me at all.

I found SoftwareUpdater, but 6 packages of updates in, the partition that Etcher created on the USB stick from the ISO is almost full. (It’s a 128GB stick, but it only made a 1GB Haiku partition, it seems.)

GLTeapot is sometimes getting over 400 FPS though.

I guess it’s cool that Haiku has come this far, and being able to run off a USB stick is definitely cool. But I’m disappointed that I can’t really use it. I need the integrated graphics working at a correct aspect ratio to have a chance of using it more often.

But I did manage to post this via WebPositive, and Power Status is working (once I found it) to show how much battery / time I have left on the laptop, so it’s working that much at least.

FYI: Your post here wont be considered as a bugreport, if you want to report bugs you can do that at https://dev.haiku-os.org just use the search first to see if it is already reported.
I would open a ticket for each problem, if nobody reported them before. Please check the guideline how to report bugs correctly.
Still thanks for the compatibility check!

You won’t get native resolution with the generic VESA driver unless its BIOS was made to support it (which, given how “legacy” VESA is, is very rare). Your best bet would be getting UEFI to work, so you can use the Framebuffer driver with the native resolution set during boot. About sound: have you tried installing OpenSound?

It is meant as an installation media, not a system you can install things on. So you’d need to install to a second USB stick using the full size, or to a second partition on the same stick.

There was work in progress on a partition resizer but it is still not complete.

Thanks extrowerk! I was posting more for others who might want to know if the Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3 is compatible yet or not, but I can try to spend a little time filing bug reports.

The “PCI 8:0:0” kernel panic was already reported, so should I add comments on that bug, or file a duplicate report?

FWIW: I did consider posting bugs on Trac last night, but I was put off by the need to check the syslog file for personal info before posting publicly, and the wording on Trac that “Reporting a bug is not something you spend a little time on and then you are done.” I’m happy to try and help, and I know the Haiku team will need to follow up & has limited time & resources too! But it made me feel that if I can’t absolutely commit to seeing the bug to completion - and in this case the bug has been around for 8 years! - the team might prefer that the bug is never submitted.

I gave both of these a try - no luck after installing OpenSound from HaikuDepot. (Tried a reboot, tried the advice about blacklisting the HDA driver, tried plugging in my Focusrite 2i2 class compliant external audio device in case it worked with that, no luck with anything.)

As for UEFI, it just hangs during boot before even the first icon lights up - this is usually the point in Legacy BIOS mode where i’d get a kernel panic about PCI 8:0:0 and PCI 7:0:0 and be able to skip past it by typing Continue. I tried Alt - SysReq - D to trigger Kernel Debugging Land but that didn’t work. I realize this isn’t the place for bug reports, but I wouldn’t even know how to start entering that one as a bug, besides “it doesn’t work”, which doesn’t exactly help anyone :laughing:

I gave this a try too, but the Haiku Installer program doesn’t seem to be putting the boot partition onto the 2nd USB stick (or whatever magic partition the Etcher program was creating) that allows me to boot from that USB stick. Basically I couldn’t get the system to recognize the 2nd USB at boot time, only the Etcher created stick works for me. Unfortunately this isn’t a machine where I could try installing onto the main internal drive.

The steps are:

• In DriveSetup, reinitialize the drive with an Intel partition table
  • Create a partition and make sure to activate it (there is a checkbox when creating it)
  • Format the partition to BFS
  • Mount the partition
  • Use installer to install to that partition

This should result in a working system for BIOS booting.

For EFI the process is a bit more complex, but, as I understand, EFI is not working for you anyway.

I’m afraid those are the exact steps I tried! I tried following them exactly again, and still no luck.

Etcher is doing something different, it adds a tiny (2.8MiB) FAT32 partition after the 1GB Haiku partition. I launched DiskProbe and searched through the tiny partition, and it contained the text “Welcome to the Haiku boot loader”. I’ve got a feeling something about that is why I’m able to boot Haiku from that Etcher USB stick.

The FAT partition is for the EFI bootloader. It is not needed for BIOS booting.
Are you really sure that you are using BIOS and not EFI to boot, then?

In case you boout with EFI you can add a few extra steps:

• Create a small FAT partition and format it
  • Copy the BOOTX64.EFI from the source USB disk to the destination disk (with the same directory layout)

Automating this is on our TODO list for the next beta, as especially wiht EFI the process is getting a bit complex.

I gave this a try as well just in case (but I set my BIOS to Legacy Only, just to make sure) and it didn’t work for me. So I guess the EFI partition wasn’t the magic I was missing after all.

I also tried making the BFS partition just 2.1GB, in case my system didn’t like a 64GB BFS partition when in Legacy BIOS mode - still no dice. I even tried running BootManager and getting it to install onto the MBR of the 2nd USB stick - still no luck.

I tried the whole process again, making absolutely sure the BFS partition was set to Active Partition as I created it before running Installer. Still no luck.

Just to check that it wasn’t an issue with the USB stick I was installing onto, I ran Etcher again and had it flash haiku-r1beta2-hrev54154_111-x86_64-anyboot.iso onto that stick too. And that worked, and booted in Legacy BIOS mode (albeit with the same kernel panics to bypass as before, but it worked). So the USB stick should be okay.

So I’m completely confused. The only thing that works for me is Etcher & that Anyboot ISO.

Anyway, I appreciate the help & apologize for cluttering this thread with unrelated issues. I get the feeling we’re not going to get Beta 2 working on this particular ThinkPad with anything other than the Anyboot setup, for some reason.

Well that’s strange. One thing to try then would be, on your second, working etcher-made stick, delete the haiku partition and create a new larger one, keeping everything else as it is, and install onto that. This would confirm your computer is only happy with the exact layout of the anyboot/etcher image (which is more complex, it is bootable also as a CD image so it has an ISO9660 filesystem with “el torrito” floppy boot image).

That worked!

First I deleted the EFI partition, and rebooted just to check that didn’t interfere with anything. (It shouldn’t since I’m using legacy, but wanted to be thorough.)

Then I deleted the Haiku partition, created a new BFS partition the size of the USB stick (64GB), formatted and set it to Active, and installed Haiku onto that partition (without touching the “outer” drive part or initializing the drive as Intel Partition Map). I now have a 64GB Haiku install - albeit with a 14GB swap file! - but it seems to be working. Running Software Updater now over Lenovo’s ethernet dongle while posting this comment.

Thanks so much for the help! Not that I can commit much time to writing Haiku code, but I did wonder if anyone has made an Alfred App / Windows Powertoys launcher clone for Haiku yet (edit: turns out it already exists, QuickLaunch in HaikuDepot is what I wanted!)

1 Like

Hello!, and welcome!! :slight_smile:

If you like, you can change the size of the swap file in Preferences -->> Virtual Memory

Have a nice day!

1 Like