The easy way to install Haiku!

I wrote a little tutorial on how to install Haiku on your system. Not in an emulator!

Here it is:

Assuming you’ve setup your disk with a partition to install Haiku on, grab a copy of BeOS Max Edition v3.1b here: http://www.bebits.com/app/3148
Burn it. Now download the latest raw disk image of Haiku (and leave it somewhere on your hard drive) from here: http://www.schmidp.com/index.php?option=com_files&path=/haiku/images/

Boot from the BeOS Max disk now, and run it as a live CD. Now right-click the Desktop and you should see a partition named Haiku (the one you downloaded) that’s about 60mb. I downloaded my Haiku image to a Fat32 drive. Anyways, now mount it (right click the image and go to ‘add ons’ / ‘image mounter’

Click on the deskbar menu and go to Applications/Development/Installer.

Change ‘Install from’ to ‘Haiku’, and change ‘Onto’ to the partition you wish to install Haiku onto. My partition was a BeFS already.

My install took about 3 minutes on a P4 2.2 GHz.

After you can even choose to install the bootloader.

Thag you very buch

That’s nice… my 1 mbit connection is literally burning by now… :lol:

A: Beos PE doesn’t allow you to change the install from location.
B: PC locks up using image mounter to copy the folders from one partition to the other. :x

The mounted image does not seem to be reconized as an “install from volume” so is not show as an option in the install from area of the installer.

make it sticky.

you could add other install methods in the first post. and ignore our comments :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried to use BeOS max to install it, but it did allow the change to the Haiku drive in the installer. I did get the Zeta installer to see the Haiku drive, but it would not install at all.

I am have the same problems that euan and stdly2000 had and more

i made i topic over in another part of the forum before i saw this http://haiku-os.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=500

i copyed the files to disk(one folder at a time as my PC locks up using image mounter if i copy them all at the same time)

anyway after all that haiku holts on booting

This method worked great for me and I’ve heard from other people where the method went fine as well. Then again there are others like you guys here where it didn’t work…

I suppose you could try using the dd comand but i’m not sure if this is correct or if beos has it (in that case use a linux live cd), maybe someone can verify this method?

dd if=Haiku.img of=/dev/yourhardriveandpartition# bs=512 skip=63

That should copy the image to your partition.

This may help for the partition id http://bebits.com/app/2788
But I think you can also get that from bootman.

Btw, my system also locked up at first. I removed all the graphics drivers except vesa and it boots fine.

I’ve finally got the files copied, after many lockups.

haiku comes up, but none of the input devices work (ps2). Can’t seem to get a boot menu up either, so I guess it’s a low level bug. I’m sure I’ve read about ps2 probs with some chipsets. I’ll try some other images.

I have to say the Haiku Boot screen is pretty sweet. :twisted:

Yeah the boot screen is nice…

It makes a solid and professional impression, which is something I can’t say for many Linux distros. I don’t ever think I’ve seen a Linux distro boot without seeing some instance of verbose messages behind the bootscreen. It always looks like the boot screen is ‘put on top’ or patched on, and not seamless like you see in Haiku, Windows XP or Mac OS X. I just think it’s something that the average user doesn’t want or care to see.

kvdman wrote:
Yeah the boot screen is nice...

It makes a solid and professional impression, which is something I can’t say for many Linux distros. I don’t ever think I’ve seen a Linux distro boot without seeing some instance of verbose messages behind the bootscreen. It always looks like the boot screen is ‘put on top’ or patched on, and not seamless like you see in Haiku, Windows XP or Mac OS X. I just think it’s something that the average user doesn’t want or care to see.

You’re probably right about John Average not wanting to see any text messages during boot up. But I like them. Boot images are hiding what’s going on, and that’s inherently a very bad idea. John Average stays John Average if you keep hiding everything from him :wink:

Anyway, it’s OT :twisted:

you could have something in between a windows boot screen and very detailed information like in linux. and perhaps have a log of the boot sequence stored somewhere on the hardrive.

in linux is easy to see what hasn’t loaded. very useful.

zeta has a couple of icons that light up as that device is loaded (all servers have an icon of their own). and a small square that shows activity.

fanton wrote:
you could have something in between a windows boot screen and very detailed information like in linux. and perhaps have a log of the boot sequence stored somewhere on the hardrive.

in linux is easy to see what hasn’t loaded. very useful.

zeta has a couple of icons that light up as that device is loaded (all servers have an icon of their own). and a small square that shows activity.

Come now you make zeta sound special there. Beos has boot icons too! :lol: Co-incidentally, those icons are not related to servers.

Here’s what they mean:

beosradio Site logo
Understanding the boot icons
Submitted by Scot Hacker

On x86, BeOS users see a row of icons on the splash screen, lighting up sequentially as the boot sequence commences (though for most users it all happens too quickly to see what’s going on). Ever wonder what those icons mean?

455.booticons

Here’s a quick guide:

Atom: Indicates the handoff of the bootloader to the BeOS kernel.

I/O Card: PCI initialization has been completed.

Lightning Bolt: This icon appears just before the system enables non-boot CPUs (where non-boot CPUs are defined as the additional processors in a multi-proc system).

Oscilloscope: All CPUs have now been enabled.

Disks: All boot drivers and modules have been initialized.

Magnifying Glass: The boot volume has been mounted.

BeBox: The system BootScript is being read into memory and its contents executed.

Source: http://www.betips.net/chunga.php?id=425

Oh, I did’t know.

I never installed BeOS. I cannot. At least not now. So I’m guessing everything about BeOS by the way Zeta looks. I will install BeOS in the future.

Sorry.

I never said Zeta is better than BeOS or Haiku :smiley:

fanton wrote:
I never said Zeta is better than BeOS or Haiku :D

That would probably also be a major mistake right now :wink:

I give up.

You guys know better. I just have funny ideas, and sometimes I’m right.

I’ve found out about BeOS a couple of months ago. I installed Zeta because it was new and it took me two days to learn it. It’s nice, but not as flexible as windows (you don’t have a lot of software to choose from and some is outdated and few drivers). I like the linux-like terminal. Since I used Linux before, I must say Linux is very very very powerful and simple. And it’s easy to recompile things in Zeta, although i never did it yet.

I must admit i don’t know which one is better than the other. But I hope Haiku would change the name first, and then be better than both Zeta and BeOS :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be trying this tonight, but I’m running DevEd (as that’s what I found first) - shirley I can just reinstall the compiler using the pkg from your developer pages?

As for boot screens, if you hold down apple+v when you boot OSX you get the full BSD text boot. You can also disable the graphical login completely, actually, and only start Quartz/Aqua (the GUI, basically) if you need/want to. It’s not as bloated as people make it out, but I digress. I think having the choice is good (helps with diagnosing problems) and maybe something Haiku should emulate.

BTW, I find it funny that running an OS that hasn’t been updated for five years on six year old hardware is much more enjoyable and feels much snappier than OSX on a brand new 800 quid iBook, not to mention being more usable and better for my blood pressure than most of the Linux distros I’ve tried (and that’s everything from Ubuntu, which is an amazing achievement, works on most things out of the box, to Crux, which is source based and set up by hand). Said iBook is currently relegated to playing MP3s and running Ableton Live (music recording/performance app, probably the best one out there) and once I get a soundcard that works with Be/Haiku, I’ll probably just move over my all MP3s…

First post there and an off-topic rant at that :slight_smile: Hi everyone!

-Paws

noisetonepause wrote:
I'll be trying this tonight, but I'm running DevEd (as that's what I found first) - shirley I can just reinstall the compiler using the pkg from your developer pages?

I believe the one you want is here: http://bebits.com/app/4011

make sure to get the “legacy 2.9x” version. It comes with instructions on how to uncompress it, where to put it, and how to change the gnupro symlink, etc.

I think the only other things to make sure you use are the fixed ld (linker) and the updated jam.

Having actually booted it now, I think the Haiku boot screen needs to say ‘starting’ or ‘booting’ or something similar. I didn’t know what to think till I saw the desktop… I can appreciate clean, but at the expense of information.