That's very good news!

Strangely, I didn’t read (or realize what I was reading) until now:

Quote from the front page:

Quote:
Why are we raising funds right now? Simply this - it is time for Haiku to hire our first developer full time. One of our superstar developers is looking for full time employment and we would love to help him with that!

I think Haiku really needs at least some full time developers. I hope the community will prove to be generous and buy the merchandise, or donate money to the cause. Way to go!

Chris

same on my website, on a comment post by Philippe Houdoin about the Markus “you all know about it” news.

french:
Tous les dons pour Haiku sont actuellement les bienvenus. En particulier maintenant, car l’un des développeurs très actifs sur le projet doit bientôt trouver du boulot ayant fini ses études. Haiku aimerait bien pouvoir lui offrir de quoi vivre quelque temps afin qu’il puisse 1) continuer àactivement contribuer au projet comme il l’a fait jusqu’ici et 2) lui donner le temps de trouver le bon job.

english: (my poor translation)
All donations for Haiku are actually welcome, more than ever those days, cause one of our main and very active developer will soon have to get a job, since he is now graduate. The Haiku team would be very please to be able to hire him for at least a few time so he could 1) continue to contribute a very active way like he did since today and 2) give him the time to find a real good job.

So yes, you are all very welcome to donate to Haiku !!! :slight_smile:

I might donate my Zeta R1 CD (that doesn’t run on my PC) to the Haiku project if they’re interested…

lol ! i could do that too … my data disk doesn’t mount anymore on R1 (was smoothly on Neo Sp1)

R1 improvment for me: a nice boot picture :slight_smile:

I wonder why this “donate for full time dev” hasn’t made bigger news.
My guess is that it has to do with hiding this fact in a news item on the availability of t-shirts…
IMO this hugely important issue deserves a proper announcement. “Donate now for our first full time developer” in big, fat attention grabbing letters. with a nice picture of the available t-shirt and a hopefully frequently updated tally.
Design a banner and try to get other sites to add it to their rotation.
You have to be a lot louder to build some momentum.

Is Haiku’s income stream currently enough to pay a full time developers salary, even at graduate rates? Its around €25,000-30,000 a year here, and I guess it’ll be the same in Germany (we can all guess who it is, really…). Even NetBSD have difficulty pulling in that kind of money sustained (not for special appeals)

MYOB wrote:
... and I guess it'll be the same in Germany (we can all guess who it is, really...). ...

Well… we do know, so we’ve got to get that money somehow… :slight_smile:

Edited - Ich was speling like Ber…

Unless some of you would find alternate means of sponsorship outside community.

MYOB wrote:
... (we can all guess who it is, really...) ...

I can guess but I haven’t got a clue, any hints?

nutela wrote:
I can guess but I haven't got a clue, any hints?

Would you want us to make an “ad” about it ? :slight_smile:

Jérôme

Hi Korli ; ) I don’t understand quite what you mean.

How’s the driver? AAaaand how’s life? : )

Anonymous X enters low den of remembrance, forcing light & eventual reaction…

OK, I’ll spell it out for you:

it’s ALFREDO EL REX

ChrisK wrote:
OK, I'll spell it out for you:

it’s ALFREDO EL REX

You should have made the About dialog with the button “Big deal”