Telegram Desktop for Haiku and audio calls, audio messages and voice chats

It’s no secret that Telegram has audio calls and voice chats.
After the latest Telegram Desktop update, this feature also works in Haiku.

Previously, this feature did not work due to the lack of backend audio capture in the OpenAL library. This week I fixed that and now you can play and record audio through MediaKit. For example with the arecord utility from the openal_tools subpackage.

screenshot82

This package also has a graphical configurator for the library in which you can control parameters and effects.

screenshot81

Also, for audio to work in Telegram, it was necessary to enable libopus support in the ffmpeg package.

As a result, with a working analog microphone in Haiku, you can now make audio calls, use voice chats, and record and send voice messages.

2021-02-27_19-55

First you must set up the analog microphone and make sure that it works.

screenshot86

screenshot87

screenshot88

Good luck.

25 Likes

Wonderful work thx a lot!

Would it be possible to catch the audio from a usb webcam? Just thinking…

@lelldorin work for the Haikusly Website!

Thanks Gerasim for fixing audio capture in OpenAL. When I created Medo, I originally wanted to use OpenAL for 3D positional audio, but had to delay that design until audio write to buffer was implemented. With your work, I should now be able to implement 3D audio effects in Medo using OpenAL instead of ffmpeg (I wanted a 3dmix tribute effect for Medo, since I’ve already got professional experience with OpenAL so the mix portion is trivial.

Thanks again, you’re a diamond in our community.

13 Likes

By the way, after implementing sound recording in openal, the audio calls in qTox started working. The sound in both directions is excellent.

12 Likes

Hello brunobastardi,

Thank you for your hint. We will write a Tutorial for that.
I hope it works with my soundcard.
Regards lorglas

Hello, my Sound doesn’t work correct. The headphone output is only possible, no mircophone etc.

So i put this tutorial to be on list. So we don’t forget it.