Telegram: Audio Calls

I’ve finished working on supporting audio calls in Telegram. The latest version is available already in HaikuDepot. I tested the performance with my sound cards: HD Audio (Azalia codec) and Creative SB Live 5.1 (emu10k) - everything works fine. I need your help to test this functionality on different sound cards because different cards have different bit rate, sampling and audio capture format.

12 Likes

Does this mean audio output/input in QtMultimedia has been implemented? Or does Telegram use something else for its audio handling core?

Telegram uses the libopenal library to play audio (audio and video files). Which we have openal, but small problems with channel mapping when playing sound: for example I hear only the left channel in the front speakers. But nevertheless the sound when watching the video is available.
For calls used libtgvoip library which has its own modules to work with sound.
I implemented a playback module through BSoundPlayer and a sound recording module through BMediaRecorder. Where you had to solve a lot of problems with mixing multichannel sound to a mono stream, and perform a sample rate conversion to 48000.

3 Likes

Tested (Telegram 1.3.5, Haiku x86_64):

• Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (Model #: SB0090)
  • Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (Model #: SB0240)
  • HT Omega Claro Halo II
  • VIA VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Note: Using them gave good results.

Needs work (OSS 4.2-related):

• Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Elite Pro (Model#: SB0550)

Glad to hear it. Thnx!

Is it working now?
I need to buy a sound card… which one is likely to work?
Haiku 64bit Beta 2?
Thanks all…

How to test alone?
Without calling someone?
Is there a call back function in Telegram?

Besides the Audigy ones I mentioned:

• Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI - SB0350

Easy. Multi-phones, multi-computers. :wink:

Thanks a lot will try to get one of the cards.

Ah of course stupid me.
…but I have only one mobile number!?