Tap setting preference on trackpad

I just loaded Haiku on a Lenovo L-530 and overall it is working well. The one issue I have found so far is that taps on the trackpad are being translated into mouse clicks. Now, I have already modified the trackpad preferences and turned off the tap setting at the bottom. However, this setting seems to be getting ignored completely. It is extremely sensitive and is constantly clicking buttons, closing windows, selecting things in menus, etc. while I am just trying to move the mouse cursor. Because of this I am using a mouse on the laptop, but eventually I’d like the trackpad to be more useable. Has anyone else run into this issue?

It would be useful to know what kind of trackpad it is. Can you see it in listusb? If not, you should look in the syslog, what the PS/2 driver says about it.

Here are the results of listusb:

0000:0000 /dev/bus/usb/0/hub “HAIKU Inc.” “XHCI RootHub” ver. 0300
147e:1002 /dev/bus/usb/1/0/2 “Upek” “Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip Fingerprint Sensor” ver. 0048
0a5c:21e6 /dev/bus/usb/1/0/3 “Broadcom Corp.” “BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 [ThinkPad]” ver. 0112
04f2:b2eb /dev/bus/usb/1/0/5 “Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd” “Integrated Camera” ver. 0563
8087:0024 /dev/bus/usb/1/0/hub “Intel Corp.” “Integrated Rate Matching Hub” ver. 0000
0000:0000 /dev/bus/usb/1/hub “HAIKU Inc.” “EHCI RootHub” ver. 0200
04b3:310d /dev/bus/usb/2/0/4 “IBM Corp.” “” ver. 4301
8087:0024 /dev/bus/usb/2/0/hub “Intel Corp.” “Integrated Rate Matching Hub” ver. 0000
0000:0000 /dev/bus/usb/2/hub “HAIKU Inc.” “EHCI RootHub” ver. 0200

I don’t see anything that looks like the trackpad in the list. When I get a chance, I will boot into Linux and see if I can get a more detailed list.

Doing a lsusb in Linux gave me pretty much the same information as listusb. I will check the syslog and see what I can find.

I’ll save you guys the trouble of hunting it down. :slight_smile: Your L530 manual can be found at http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/withdraw/ThinkPad_L530_WE.pdf which lists an UltraNav trackpad with the driver for it here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds019164 identifying it as a Synaptics UltraNav TouchPad.

As for finding the trackpad model on Gnu/Linux, lsusb may not necessarily always have what you’re looking for. For instance, on my Elitebook which is running Linux, lsusb won’t show the touchpad info, similar to what you’ve experienced. So, in my case, I simply ran “cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep TouchPad || grep Mouse” which returned Synaptics as the manufacturer. Since the ThinkPad L530 also uses a Synaptics device, yours will most likely show a similar result. If still in doubt, maybe doing a simple “xinput --list” in a terminal emulator of your choice on X.org will return what you’re looking for as well. On Debian and derivatives, hardinfo is a graphical utility that is fairly equivalent to Hardware on Haiku or System Profiler on Mac OS.

Hope this helps solve the mystery and good luck to you! :slight_smile:

Well, we do have Synaptics support in the PS/2 driver, so this should work. But maybe it is some new version or something.
IIRC Synaptics provides a PDF with all the commands and protocol for their touchpads, which we can use to complete our driver if needed.

I had determined after checking the Lenovo site that the trackpad was a Synaptics, but had not had time to post that. Thanks for doing all the legwork, apgreimann! If there is anything else I can do provide information or test any possible fixes, please let me know.

A copy of the syslog (from /boot/var/log/syslog) would still be useful to see if the touchpad is properly detected.

I have the syslog, but it looks like only pictures can be uploaded. Is there another place I should upload to, or do I just need to add an acceptable extension to the file?

Usually bugs are reported in Haiku’s Trac. There you can also upload text files. Having the reports in the bugtracker increases its chances of being noticed and fixed by someone. You can of course upload to e.g. sprunge.us etc. and post the link here, too.

Regards,
Humdinger

I have created a ticket for this problem and included the syslog. The ticket is 12938.