Syslog server support?

Howdy,
Does Haiku support, or have an app, that allows its syslog to be shipped off to a syslog server?
Thanks!

I found this documentation saying “Syslog over serial line not implemented yet.”

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/api/syslog_8h.html

I guess a simple daemon could be written which copies the syslog file regularly, but in case of a crash/kernel level debug that won’t work because no application works in that case.

1 Like

While that LOG_SERIAL flag to openlog() that @PeterW mentioned might not be implemented yet, Haiku IS able to send output to serial port.

With VirtualBox, I added a “COM port” that redirects to a “raw file” (R:\Haiku-Serial.txt in my case). I get the boot loader messages there with beta4, and if I set serial_debug_output true on the ~/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel file… I get the full syslog there (as long as you don’t change syslog_debug_output to false that is).

(nightlies has that enabled by default, IIRC).

Edit: @Coldfirex, I guess that something similar should be possible with ProxMox/QEMU (which I believe is what you’re using, right).

2 Likes

And then the syslog is managed through the syslog_daemon server. I guess one could register a listener with a SYSLOG_ADD_LISTENER message to receive the log messages and filter and send them whereever, though that’s in private headers, so not public API.

2 Likes

@BiPolar I have that setup in my esxi environment. I have the steps to do it in Proxmox (CLI only setup), but havent gotten around to trying it out.
I am more interested in being able to send at least the contents of the syslog file to my internal syslog server for log collection.

Could something simple, like ssh you@haiku-machine tail -f /system/var/log/syslog > haiku.log work? (at least while you find a better way, I mean).

Edit: or similar, but using tee:

ssh you@haiku-machine "tail -f /system/var/log/syslog" | tee -a /home/you/local-haiku.log

1 Like

People suggest all kind of other solutions, but the short answer is: no, no one implemented that yet.

The only place where we have syslog server support is in the bootloader, and then only for the OpenFirmware and PXE builds of it. Not something that will be useful in the general case.

Thanks, I figured as much.