Suggestion Regarding List of Compatible Systems

The existence of a list of compatible systems is great ( Computers compatible with Haiku (OLD - pre-Beta2 list) ). However, it is somewhat cumbersome to consult as it as a suite of posts and not all posts are equal in quality. The other formats on GitHub and Google Docs help a bit but may become a pain to keep synchronized with each other.

A possibility would be to implement an approach similar to that used by Neverware for the systems “certified” for use with their CloudReady ChromeOS.

The full list of systems certified ( Prepare for installation - ChromeOS Flex Help ) is just a list of links to summaries stored on Google Docs. For example, the summary for the HP Probook 450 G3 is ( https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_AwZ-rbQcZJSN_Ogb_NJDawCNar-ZhDs067VlHvWW9U/preview?slide=id.ga9588ab56_131 ).

I think that a two-level list would do nicely with first-level being manufacturers and second-level being models.

As for the one page summary, it could well be a HTML table with green symbols meaning OK, yellow symbols meaning Gothas/Notes, and red symbols meaning NotOK.

Here’s the obligatory link to Haiku’s Configuration Repository. And the GitHub to fork and PR to, if anyone is interested to further develop or deploy it.

1 Like

Well, actually, there is a Google Sheets table, always in sync, on Google Docs even if I haven’t posted the changes to GitHub yet. And each new post I add has links to both the Google Sites page and GitHub.

I did used to update the list at the top of the page, but this became annoying as I had to sort out hardware by section and kept editing the same post.

If there is more I can do, I’d be glad to try it, but for now… I’m doing what little I can. :frowning:

Can my list be folded or merged into this effort somehow? There’s under 60 in my little spreadsheet (58 last I checked) and I’m hoping that if things were made into one unified effort, it’d really help the project out more.

I signed up on the Haiku Configuration Repository, was asked to sign in, and then “Could not authenticate…Please try again” (to no avail).

With enough effort, sure. Someone needs to code an “import filter” that inserts your document into the db. But I suspect entering the data by hand is more likely to be quicker… :slight_smile:
Though, mind you, that is only a test installation.

Works with my existing account. You could file a ticket at the github issue tracker. No idea if Vale is still monitoring the thing though…

A quick update about where CloudReady is heading in terms of compatibility and device support: ( https://www.neverware.com/blogcontent/2019/1/9/announcement-cloudready-device-support-policies ).

Essentially, the 32bit images will be supported only for a few more months (until August 2019) and an end-of-support has been added for devices on their certified models list (13 years after their original release by the OEM).

As there were only a dozen or so certified models for 32bit and that the tools for supporting 32bit code in Linux were slowly becoming ill-maintained, this was essentially a logical business decision to drop support for the 32bit images…

As for the 13 years lifecycle for their certified models, this appears to be one of the most generous support policies around.