[SUGGESTION] MLT Multimedia Framework port/collaboration

I Just discovered this very interesting project (that’s “beside” Shotcut crossplatform video editor) that claims:

MLT is an open source multimedia framework, designed and developed for television broadcasting. It provides a toolkit for broadcasters, video editors, media players, transcoders, web streamers and many more types of applications. The functionality of the system is provided via an assortment of ready to use tools, XML authoring components, and an extensible plug-in based API.

On Features page they also claim:

Small, clean API with minimal dependencies (POSIX and C99)

I honestly don’t know if it’s possible to port it to Haiku - for some features, such as JACK audio routing or WebVfx for HTML5-based graphics/animation generation could be impossible - but, as always, I strongly believe that a collaboration may benefit both.

Hope that inspires.

Well I think there is some consensus that the Haiku Media kit is inadequate in it’s current state, but I dunno if this fits in there… at all. Ideally what you would really want is something like this written as a native Haiku API.

Would it be possible to create an Inspiration forum category so one could unsubscribe?
I mean ofc we hope it will inspire somebody, but it would be better to move the “Hope that inspires” threads to somewhere else from the development category.

1 Like

I changed to to the ideas category as this really isn’t development related… but of course as an idea it certainly could be someday (granted it probably isn’t a good fit for Haiku but perhaps there is some inspiration to be gained from how they did things).

This port has been in my TODO/wishlist for quite some time. A long time ago I compiled the core library in Haiku. What I believe takes more effort is to create a Haiku plugin for the Media Kit.