Suggest adding official login management with username and password

Suggest adding official login management with username and password.

2 Likes

May I ask WHY?

Most people using Haiku are the only ones using it in the house.

Heck, I never had to protect my Haiku systems because the other people in the house would not figure out how to use a system that does not have Windows icons.

1 Like

And i ask WHY NOT?

This is a suggestion, so would have a background for this.

I think this is a must have function. I does not want that my son can see or destroy everything on my computer (5 years old and have his own haiku System for playing).

My wishes would here to get every user (home folder) as a secured container. At startup before home is adding into the system the user select a user and log in, then the user specific container will be hanging in. And one user does not can see the files of the other Containers (only admin). Every user can only install in home/… Packages and only the admin in system /packages

3 Likes

I agree.

Unfortunately, I don’t think true multi-user support will be implemented for a while because it will break BeOS binary compatibility. Which is why Be never released it.

However, I wonder if a simple password protected lock screen could be implemented? It would at least keep out children and prying eyes.

1 Like

You can, of course, just set a bios boot password as a stopgap. It’s what I do, anyway.

Chris

I think implementation true multi-user support is impossible,before publishing R1,but can Step-by-Step implementation multi-user support,first step,before publishing R1 beta1 can implementing the Login Interface with username and password.
This haiku is more like a modern operating system.

1 Like

Seems to me there may have been a password lock screen at some point in the distant past, and it eventually stopped working … that would have been really quite a long time ago, so long that it’s hard to believe we’ve been running Haiku for so long. Anyway, it’s a useful thing that probably could be done again.

If you want to support separate Haiku environments for different people, you can put separate partitions. They’d ordinarily be owned by the same user ID and each user would have full access to all partitions. I haven’t fooled around at all with filesystem permissions and user IDs to see how much control could be exerted, probably not much - but in the end, if someone has physical access to the hardware and wants to mess you up, it’s hard to make it impossible, anyway.

This is right, so i talk about Containers hanging in as home folder at startup past Selection a user. The container need to be protected. I think this is not so complicated as it sounds. Only make the container protection is a headnut? If this containers are placed in a not virtualized part of the system, the user does not can see them. If he found a way to see them, he need the password to open it.

True, but if you want to use the computer for more then one user?

Why i should use a harddisk of up to 1tb (standard) for one user if i only need 20gb for one user, for example. And many people does not have the place for one computer for all family members.

I need multiuser, i use haiku.

Not that anything is real likely to be done in any case, but people who want “multiuser” need to be more clear about what that is. I’m assuming it’s serial users - each user’s turn lasts a full session, and is exclusive during that session.

… here I had some stuff written out about the complex variations and issues that come around, with multiuser implemented possibly in different ways, and why you need to be more specific about what exactly you want, and then I remembered how it works. No, you don’t need to be specific about that at all, because it really doesn’t especially matter what you want. If multiuser happens, it will be because someone who can do it, wants it, and it will happen the way he or she wanted it. Subject to the approval of other devs, of course.

I dont need multiuser in total rule but i need password to get more security on my privacy and cryptocurrencys.

Hello everybody,

I would also welcome a multiuser system. The container system like Lelldorin is good. It reminds me of the SGI unix. There was the home directories too, I was good to find. One should then consider whether you can outsource the container on different hard drives (eg USB Data carrier) and could possibly encrypt.
The advantage is that you simply take your home directory to colleagues and integrate into the PC.
Or at system renewal e.g. new hard drives as boot media, etc.

The whole thing can be tackled after the R1.

Greeting Lorglas

1 Like

Just speaking for myself, but that is not what I mean when I say multi-user support. Serial multi-user support sounds like fake Windows98 multi-user support. Full multi-user support would allow processes under multiple user accounts to be running simultaneously, and multiple users can concurrently be logged in. For example, one physically logged in and one, or more, connected via something like RDP. And maybe find some cool way to leverage it to work with Haiku’s Remote App Server!

Of course I realize this is a ways off, and probably will not happen in one step.

[quote=“donn, post:11, topic:6612, full:true”]If multiuser happens, it will be because someone who can do it, wants it, and it will happen the way he or she wanted it. Subject to the approval of other devs, of course.
[/quote]

Certainly the exactly implementation will depend on developers wanting to work on it. Based on the complexity and breakage of this feature, and from looking at previous threads, I don’t think this is something that one developer will do based exclusively on how they want to implement it. It will probably be a long process and take a lot of debate and input from many developers and users.

There is a lot to think about and discuss on this topic. Haiku is not burdened legacy multi-user support which opens up the possibility to talk about the best way to do this. We can think about things like the container approach, or an encrypted user data folder, or having permissions based on actions like mobile devices do (previously discussed, but I can’t find the post), etc.

While I see this as Glass Elevator/post R1, I, as well as many others welcome the idea of multi-user support.

I’m personally a big fan of OpenBSD in this regard. After using ‘doas’ in OBSD, using ‘sudo’ is a drag for multi-user system/root management. Since they are somewhat of a kindred spirit to Haiku in code quality, I think OpenBSD would be a good role model for this part of the system.

In the meantime, perhaps completion of the password lock feature in Screensaver could be of use for those who need a screen lock. I figure UserBootscript could be leveraged in this as a get-by gimmick.