Submit patches. Who(m) decides what's applied or not?

I would like to make some changes to the Appearance configuration for fonts. Should you discuss such changes before or who decides if they are applied? I understand that badly written code will be refused, but who(m) decide about new functionality?

The change I would like to suggest is to change Font size to a preset MenuList to use the Numberbox with +/- instead. Yesterday I tried running Haiku on really high resolution and 24 pt fonts were to small. On normal resolution I would like have something in the range of 14-16 but there is a gap in there preset sizes.

It is largely better if you discuss the changes with us. It’s for two reasons, you can get some suggestions and avoid to do something that isn’t going to be accepted.

Generally there’s not a single person deciding if a change is OK or not, except the basic rules like coding style. It is done on gerrit since a few months, where people can discuss any issue with your code. So, it is a collaborative effort where we try to always reach agreement, when this agreement is not reached then a vote among devs is started, but I think it’s like 3-4 years I don’t see a vote in ml (except those for giving commit access).

1 Like

Whats your take on the suggested change?

I am not really a GUI guy, but as long as it is a customization thing for me it is welcome :grinning:. I know it is hard to use Haiku with widescreens and high resolutions.

Is there any technical limitation here? I see the same fontsize list in every major programs, and they provides like “36, 48, 72” (the last 3 fontsize). Does somebody know where does theese numbers comes from?

It’s from the old days with Bitmap fonts, they were optimized to look good for some sizes.

If you want to discuss your idea before starting to code and submit a patch, try posting it to the haiku-development mailing list.

FWIW, I would like your change using BSpinners. I’d suggest limiting at least the minimum value to, say 5, just so people don’t accidentally make the fonts so small they can’t find their way back to reverting it… :slight_smile:
A sanity check on the max value may be sensible too.

4 Likes

The existing min. of 8 is fine. I don’t know why a listbox was used there, it would make sense if we had only 3 or 4 settings, as that would allow exhaustive testing of apps witw all allowed sizes, but now there are so many choices in the list, this does not work anymore. So a spinner (or a slider) seems appropriate

1 Like

The problem is a much larger than fonts, we should have a system wide scale option:

1. Windows frames
  2. Scrollbars
  3. Mouse Pointer
  4. Fonts

But I hope I can find some time during this weekend to change the fonts in appearance.

1 Like

We have already done quite a lot of work to make all of the things you mentioned dependent on the font size. If you change the font size already and then restart Tracker and Deskbar, you’ll see this is the case.

So we just need some way to detect HiDPI displays, and then automatically double whatever font size setting the user has set (e.g. 12pt font → actually becomes 24pt internally.)

1 Like

I saw that axeld changed the icon resizing based on fontsize. I miss the old large icon list view though.

In my screenshot you can see that the tracker folder icon is still very small, also the scrollbars and the replicant dragger. Some kind of settings for HiDPI would be nice.

3 Likes

What’s the HUD looking thing on the bottom left? :slight_smile: That looks pretty cool, actually.

Its my app for reading github issues and github commits.

This is still work in progress, but the idea is that there will not be a separate setting for HiDPI. You just set a font size, and everything adjusts to it, including window border, scrollbars, replicant handles, etc.

We will probably rename the “font size” setting to “ui size”.

3 Likes

I am trying to submit my first patch. But I dont know how to proceed, does someone need to give me push rights or?

Please see the Submitting your commit(s) part of the the developer wiki.

1 Like

Hmm I dunno what I am missing. I think I configured everything correctly, added the SSH keys (gerrits says its valid).

Update. Got it working.

Did you push with git push origin master:refs/for/master or, if you’re on a feature branch, git push origin myfeaturebranch:refs/for/master?

Just got it working. Thanks.

OK. :slight_smile:
It might help others if you quickly point out where you went wrong.