Steam running in Haiku

Really want to use steam in haiku, that be great.
can i run WINE with steam in haiku? does it work?

1 Like

There is no Wine for Haiku yet, and no 3d acceleration to play AAA games. Please contact the Wine project and/or Valve to make their software available for Haiku.

2 Likes

Wine can’t be ported for now, because Haiku kernel is missing some features needed for Wine:

• #7502 (Windows use FS register to store thread information block (TIB) and compiler generates code that directly use that register, Haiku also use FS register causing conflict)
  • #9205 (many Windows applications expect to be loaded to 0x400000 and have no relocations, some other memory ranges should be reserved)
  • #7867 Need to provide all CPU registers to signal handler
3 Likes

This is not the first time a newcomer asks here about wine/steam, i assume they want just a minimal OS for their games with the hope it can give some FPS boost in their games. I assume this is the case here too.

1 Like

yes, hope wine is usable in haiku in the future

I think this is not an issue on x86_64, as we use the same ABI as Linux/BSD/etc., so whatever applies there should apply for us.

This is also not an issue as we use the same address space layout as Linux/BSD/etc. on x86_64.

I think this one is indeed still unsolved but I could be wrong.

1 Like

But issue on x86, there are a lot of 32 bit only Windows software.

1 Like

Yes, but at least Wine can be ported before we worry about that.

2 Likes