Star LabTop

I stumbled over the Small Technology Foundation and their review of the »Star LabTop« and i wonder, if someone was able to test it (with Haiku)? I’ve done a quick search before, so i guess not.
But philosophy and pricing are interesting: https://starlabs.systems/pages/laptops
What do you think?

1 Like

Looks intersting
Write them if they like to test Haiku on their Hardware.
If it works some Haiku users may interested in buying.

2 Likes

Good idea! I ask them …

1 Like

Unfortunately they don’t have any time for such tests, but i received a kind answer.
Apparently they are receiving numerous similar inquiries.
So we have to crowdfund one for test purposes :wink:

No need, they do not need our money it seems!

Hi, I signed up for the forum, just to say I happen to own the Labtop MKIV.
I have obtained the current R1/Beta2 and will see if it is able to boot.

Just to clarify, I am no developer, just someone who likes to use Unix like operating systems.

EDIT: Long ago, when BeOS Personal was free for home use, I did look at it briefly, unfortunately I was too yough and more charmed by gaming back then.

EDIT2:
Good news everyone! (reference to a long stopped cartoon). The Beta2 boots and shows a desktop/installer. I am not wiping my current install. My observations:

• Heavy screen tearing, does show the native 1920x1080 resolution.
  • No networking or bluetooth
  • Touchpad not recognized

Let me know if there is interest in me running some sort of diagnostic or anything in the live environment.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for registering! Maybe we can get you excited about Haiku and you stay longer :slight_smile:
I would definitely be curious about your results.

1 Like

You don’t have to. You could do an installation to a second usb drive and then boot from that if you want to do some further testing. I’d also recommend using a recent nightly image from here Haiku 64-bit | Haiku Files instead of the beta because there might be some bugs already fixed since the last beta.

You could try the failsafe graphics driver which can be enabled in the bootloader menu. The bootloader menu comes up when you press the space bar right before the haiku logo appears. There you can select “Use fail-safe video driver” (not sure about the exact wording, I’m writing this from memory) and then “Continue booting”. If that gives better results than before you can make it permanent by blacklisting the graphics driver which is explained here: Disabling components of packages | Haiku Project

Please let us know which networking chipsets the machine is using so maybe somebody has further advice for you.

Before somebody recommends installing the wifi firmwares: it is required only by old wifi chips.

3 Likes

My hardware:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9b51
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 9bca (rev 04)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake Thermal Subsytem
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 02ed
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 02ef
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9462
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Serial IO I2C Host Controller
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake SATA AHCI Controller
00:1a.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Device 02c4
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02b0 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0284
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 02c8
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 02a3
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake SPI (flash) Controller
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation E12 NVMe Controller (rev 01)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:3031 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB Camera
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 25a7:fa67 Areson Technology Corp 2.4G Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:0026 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

With the “safe” video driver it was less of a tearing thing, just that is seemed not fast enough, understandable. I used: hrev54945 for the test today.

No wireless network still, but the USB->RJ45 adapter seemed to work!
No touchpad either.

The failsafe (VESA) driver should not have a performance impact as far as I know. Because there is no hardware acceleration in the specific driver anyway.

Haiku uses mostly FreeBSD drivers through an emulation layer for most of the newer wifi-cards. It seems that the model you have is not yet support by FreeBSD, so most likely you are out of luck here (for now, at least)
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=245304

Hardware support is always the most difficult thing with non-mainstream operating systems.

Are the drivers in sync with FreeBSD 13?

The team behind the LabTop machines has moved on to Coreboot for the UEFI implementation. As of this change (tested with latest Beta) the LabTop MK IV does not boot at all with Haiku.

have you tried the 64bit version?

Yes, I typically download only 64-bit versions. I have no need for older BeOS software, therefore I only test 64-bit versions.

I set up the MrChromeBox UEFI Coreboot firmware on an older HP Chromebox and it also would not boot Haiku. I have not dug into it but it must be something wrong on the Haiku side as Windows boots fine on the same machine. It would obviously be good to fix since more devices are using Coreboot plus it is appealing since it is open source.

Part of my reason for getting this cheap older Chromebox was to try to investigate Coreboot support but I need to figure out how to debug the issue. Probably finding some way to set up a serial log. I haven’t had the time lately.

2 Likes

Likely the touchpad doesn’t work because it uses I2C and Haiku doesn’t really support those sort of HCI devices yet.

4 Likes