Sound

I have Haiku running on VMware on Windows XP on an IBM Thinkpad A21m. How do I enable sound? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hello!
This laptop have CrystalClear SoundFusion sound chip. I think this is unsupported by Haiku, but You can try with OSS. (Sorry, i never try it yet, i can’t help to You)

ByE!
miqlas

Thanks for your comment. Yes, the sound chip is a Crystal SoundFusion. I do not know if it is supported by Haiku. I have the impression that a setting in the Haiku configuration file may have to be set to enable the sound system to work. Any further comment is appreciated. Thanks.

AFAIK, when you are running in a vmware environment, the actual hardware you are running on is never visible inside the vm except for your cpu and chipset (eg intel p4 with 845g chipset). Vmware presents a set of virtual devices to the guest OS, including the vmware graphics device and the choice of a couple of different sound and network cards, which can be set in the .vmx file.

I have been running haiku under vmware ever since the first images were made available and I am yet to hear a peep out of haiku. (As a matter of fact this post is being written using firefox 2.0.0.14 under haiku build 25668.) Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. It’s just that I want to make it clear that AFAIK sound under vmware is not working yet. I deduce this from the fact that sound is turned off in the .vmx file that comes with the image.

On the other hand, the images from haikuware come with a .vmx file that defines the sound device as an “es1371”. I have tried running those without any luck, so I have another reason to believe that sound under vmware is not working yet.

To the developers, keep up the good work guys! In my opinion, haiku in its current state is at least as stable as windows 9x ever was ;-D

Alan

Thank you for your comments. I noticed in the haiku.vmx file something like “sound=false”. I don’t recall right now if any sound card was mentioned, probably not. I have not tried it, but I assume changing the line in the haiku.vmx file to “sound=true” without any additional information about a sound card would have no effect in enabling sound. Does that seem consistent with your experience?

To get sound under VMWare with haiku you will need to do the following:

1. In the haiku.vmx vmware configuration file add the following
    sound.present = "true"
    sound.virtualDev = “es1371”

2. Install OSS in Haiku

Currently there is no native driver for es1371 that works in haiku so OSS is needed.

Getting OSS installed will depend on where you get your haiku image from. If you build haiku yourself you can add it in as an optional package in your UserBuildConfig

Cheers
David

Thank you. I may try that and let you know if it works.