Some operating systems

In a different thread someone mentioned ToaruOS (I hope I’ve written its name correctly).

It’s a cool OS. For some people it might be interesting to hear about cool Off-Off-Broadway :wink: OSs.

There are tons of other OSs. Here are some suggestions:
Hurd, Genode, Resea = 3 microkernel OSs.
Phantom OS = a persistant OS.
Kolibri OS = an ultra-fast OS.

If you wanna try them: Your favourite search engine is your friend.

And if you wonder how Haiku fits in there: Haiku is both technically and visually elegant and already quite stable and far-developed.

Greetings
Peter

6 Likes

TheseusOS leverages Rust’s memory and type safety to remove the need for memory protection and most usage of the MMU altogether (assuming your code is also written in safe Rust). Otherwise you have to run it in a WebAssembly sandbox. It is still in the early stages and trying to make a market out of the IoT space. Anything written in C or C++ has to be translated into WebAssembly to be used with it.

1 Like

SerenityOS is sort of like Haiku as it recreates a retro/classic look while staying modern and fast

3 Likes

That’s a theme I love to know more!

MenuetOS is a system written completely in Assembly, with 32 and 64 bit version.

KolibriOS is like the successor fork of MenuetOS.

Shame that Menuet64 is closed-source.

Yeah. But Kolibri OS is open source and afaik 64bit. I tested it and it boots in seconds even from DVD.

Greetings
Peter

Haven’t found anything yet that suggests KolibriOS is 64-bit. Interestingly enough, it has AMD and Intel GPU support based on the Linux drivers:
http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Hardware_Support

1 Like

You are right and I was wrong. Kolibri OS is 32bit.
As stated on the system’s wiki main page.
http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Main_Page

Greetings
Peter

This is C64Os for Commodore 64

it have a window manager similar to beos/haiku with tabs.

1 Like

How does C64OS stand up against Contiki or GEOS?

Years ago I’ve doxed many alternative oses and the most intriguing concept I’ve come across was Unununium Operating Engine (dead of course):
http://uuu.sourceforge.net/

No one going to mention TempleOS?

2 Likes

IIRC, TempleOS demanded standard VGA would be the only supported graphics mode because it emphasized standards above performance. How disappointed the author was when he discovered that VESA modes are supported on all PC systems and allow much better graphics modes!

2 Likes

The reason was more because god said to do it this way. TempleOS had an rng that spit out bible verses the author used to communicate with god, or atleast thought that he did.

In any case, the author sadly died because he was killed by a train.
Singlehandedly building an OS of that complexity is quite brilliant imo.

2 Likes

KolibriOS looks quite nice. I’ll definitely play with it when I find some time off.

The last “alternative” OS (not counting Haiku as alternative here, since it’s the main focus of this forum :slight_smile: ) I really got interested in was SkyOS, which sadly went the way of all non open source OS when they are abandoned. Atheos and later Syllable were also quite interesting. And I have to say I’ve got a lot of respect for the ReactOS guys, even if I don’t use their OS.

Also an interesting OS experience was MorphOS. I installed it on my Mac Mini G4 after it was so old that there was no usable OSX Version for it and even Linux started to abandon it. Very impressive in performance, but since I’m not an Amiga guy (apart from playing games in a friend’s basement in the early 90ies) I really struggled with the GUI.

3 Likes

I also tried MorphOS some time ago but in Power Mac G4 AGP Graphics. Speaking of Amiga-themed OS I’m curious about Icaros Desktop, an AROS distribution, but, as like you, I’m not an Amiga guy, I can’t do much.

This is a thing of beauty - I love seeing how far old hardware can be pushed with modern concepts <3

2 Likes