[SOLVED] What happened to PoorMan?

Hello, I’m currently a language manager for the Greek UI translations. I was not a contributor for Haiku yet when this translation was performed.

The translation is accurate in the sense that it is literally “Web Server”, but I see why it might be confusing, as the app has its own name, PoorMan.

As such, I’ve adjusted the relevant strings so that they translate to " Web Server PoorMan". I’m open for discussion of a better variant, of course :-).

4 Likes

I think PoorMan is distinct enough to be left as is. It’s not one of the essential applications anyway.

The name is a play on words, in that it’s “the poor man’s http server” (POOR MAN'S... | définition en anglais - Cambridge Dictionary), meaning it is not a big serious webserver.

Such things are not always easy to translate, if the target language does not have a similar thing.

And later on there was another HTTP server, named Robin Hood, because, I guess, it improves the situation of the Poor Man and makes him a bit closer to the rich one.

Independently of the translation, even in english, this is not the obvious way to name the app. BeOS was often not fully serious like this, maybe as a way to stand out from the other systems. Haiku retains some of it, personally I find it fun as long as it doesn’t get in the way of usability. Mayoe in this case it goes a bit too far?

3 Likes

I think it’s okay to have distinctive app names, but in the case of humour and puns a direct translation or even a close approximation might not be viable. In any case names such as PoorMan contain no hint of what the function of the app might be, so in theory it might make comprehension difficult even for those fluent in English (but not frequent Haiku users).

1 Like

‘Poor man’ makes absolutely no sense as to what it actually is or does - & I’m English, born & bred!

How do you expect people to know what its function is! No wonder few people try, & stick with Haiku.

Haiku is still only a relative novelty operating system to most computer users, who have even heard of it.

Personally, I like Haiku, but it is so different from ‘normal’ operating systems, that it needs every bit of help that you can give it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

renaming it “Poor man’s web server” would probably clear this up nicely.

3 Likes

I suggest adding in Haiku popup messages with explanations to the icons in the apps menu.
For example: PoorMan is a simple web server application.

1 Like

Yepp, and in Haiku not all programs prepared to use the translated program names.
It turned out when I used one of the launcher programs (it was 8dock maybe or similar name) and it pinned the programs withoriginal name. For some one radius users this could be problematic if they search for the translated name as they know the program on their native language only – so as its translated name.

Let the missing crowds and herds of people be the biggest problem of Haiku !

I think you should wish rather bigger number of developers an investors of any levels that would join in to see the bold future to invest time and effort into Haiku.
No thanks … no more people to would ask about how devs should really cloning Haiku toward their meanwhile abandoned ‘look and feel’ OS :smiley:

IMHO, no localisation is better than half-done or bad localisation.
A program name shouldn’t appear translated as long as it is not translated everywhere. Name that appears in the app menu, but also the system name and the name that appears in manual have to be the same. As long as you have one of these non translated, some people will be lost at a point or another. Of course, to ease things, we don’t translate them in same place. Without coordination, it can end up translated differently and it is even worse.

1 Like

I think that “Εξυπηρετητής Ιστού του φτωχού” or “Φτωχός Εξυπηρετητής Ιστού” would sound better. What about you?

Just like “Apache” or “NginX”. Which are the most used web servers. Or on the Browser side Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, none of these names say what these programs actually do. We are just used to it since they are popular. When learning about a new OS and new applications you have to learn about these things. Btw, all bundled applications are at least briefly described in our wonderful user guide if I remember correctly.

Imho, the names of applications should never be translated, except when the names are just descriptions like Mail.

11 Likes

I don’t understand this reasoning. So far the only argument I’ve heard is that “It should match the documentation”, that is fair on it’s own, but suggests you should not translate the documentation either.

I think the other side wins very clearly: Some people don’t speak english. period.
It literally does not matter what intention you had or wordplay for the application name, those users will not be able to use it.

Applications on windows do it isn’t really an argument, because they face the exact same issue, Firefox, Chrome, Edge are perfect examples. Edge especially. Many people I’ve known that are older will try to run “Internet explorer” because it actually sais what it does, and not “Edge”.
Those users can only use these nondescriptive app names because they have been trained by their relatives or more tech savy people to click on the right thing. And that usually isn’t even “Chrome” but “The thing right of the start menu”.

1 Like

I think better to stick with the current variant “Εξυπηρετητής Ιστού PoorMan”. After all, people don’t translate Firefox as “Φλεγόμενη αλεπού” :wink:

1 Like

IMHO app names should not be translated and should not be representative of their purpose. Developers choose a name for various reasons and seldom it has to do with the purpose of an application.
There may be some exceptions, though. In MacOS for example, Calendar, Notes and Weather are translated. I think this is an edge case that applies to built-in utilities.
It would be better to provide a thorough description in the documentation and in Haiku Depot if applicable.
Just my two cents.

3 Likes

The simple naming of built-in applications makes a good point. It is simple to understand for end users and we see it implemented in most desktops today.

Having a distinct name for your application does make sense when you want to have a distinct “brand image” or something (e.g. the case for web browsers). Built-in apps should probably have simple names.

I’m not advocating for change here, it’s not up to me to make such a decision. It’s just an observation about application naming for applications which are part of the system. “Mail” nails this, “PoorMan” does not. On the other hand, I can’t possibly imagine Web+, Pe or HaikuDepot being called anything else :wink:

The name comes from a common english expression. For other languages, it can be treated as just a name. Same as we do not try to translate Google Chrome or facebook, and just use they as names.

The misunderstanding was just due to the greek translation removing the name . If it can be changed to PoorMan Web Server ( or Web Server PoorMan, depending on the correct grammatical structure of greek language ) it solves the problem and lets the sofware purpose clear, just that.

I´m not sure if you were referring to my comment, but anyway please note that I didn´t say any of these things . Sorry if I didn´t manage to express myself clearly :wink:

What? I have to understand what the name of the application means to be able to use it? Why?
Take the native Haiku video editor called Medo for example. Now, I know that it refers to some kind of bear in slavic languages because the author explained it in the announcement posting. But with or without that information, I just have to make a mental note in my mind that Medo = video editor. I think I´m very well capable of that and I expect most other users to be too. And if not, someone can still put a link on the desktop and call it whatever they want.

Applications having nonsensical names is no excuse for foregoing translations.

There is no reason why the web server has to be named poorman, just make a mental note is the sam condescending attitude of “should have read the manual lol”

Haiku shouldn’t be a system where you need to consult a manual so you can understand all the nonsensical names in applications/ in a foreign language for anyone.

If the app is in the right menu category, with eventually a tooltip that is a short description in your language you find your app whatever the name. But nobody wants another thread about that…

2 Likes