[SOLVED] Disk cloning in Haiku

My Lenovo ThinkPad X220, which was what I used for running Haiku bare metal, has sadly died of motherboard failure after 12 years. I yanked the SSD out of it and popped it into a USB enclosure, and tried it out on my ThinkPad T470s. Performance on this laptop is hugely improved, so I may plan on swapping the current SSD out of it and replacing it with a new one to copy the entire Haiku disk onto, making it my new Haiku laptop.

Now, my question on this project is this: cloning the disk from one disk to another… is there any software I can use in Haiku that can clone one disk from one to another? Or can the cloning be done using CLI tools! Clonezilla doesn’t have support for the Be File System AFAIK, so it may not(?) be am option.

1 Like

Installer can clone the disk from which the installation is performed.

2 Likes

You can use dd, but the best way ist to generate haiku hdd or partition and install from the old hdd to the new one using a live cd of haiku.

1 Like

as @kim1963 said, Installer app is a way to go. You can find it in haiku’s main menu/Applications. From that, i soupose youll set as a source your running installation of Haiku, and as destination your new ssd. But check with other users that have more experience on this topic before do anything.

1 Like

Like others have said, you can use any tool that can copy raw disks, dd, even Norton ghost (idk if it ever supported sata disks), the installer (for installing to a different sized disk).

If you run the installer on a system running from a hard drive, does it copy all of the files in the home folder?

Might want to use LBackup before doing anything.

1 Like

Yes. Installer copies the system/ and home/ folder to the destination.

2 Likes

Do we need more people to confirm that Installer will work?

I think not! So I marked the topic as solved and there is no need to reply anymore :slight_smile:

3 Likes