Software package in HaikuDepot for .txt file

software package to open .txt files?

They can be opened with StyledEdit so you donā€™t really need something else. What can happen is that the file is not identified as text file. In that case, you can drag it in an already opened window.

This said, you have a lot of software able to open .txt files available in the depot; it all depends your needsā€¦

1 Like

As Starcrasher said, StyledEdit comes with a default Haiku installation. So does Pe. And nano, if you donā€™t mind working in the Terminal.

But once you fire up HaikuDepot you can download <takes a deep breath>

KWrite
Notepadqq
vim
jdTextEdit
Kate
Cudatext
efte
emacs
Featherpad
jed
joe
Gvim
ne
turbo

And those are just the ā€œpureā€ text editors. There are others that lean more towards being a mini-IDE (Geany, Koder, Kakoune), Markdown (CuteMarkEd, Ghostwriter, Retext) or HTML (KpimTexteditor). I may have missed one or two.

2 Likes

If itā€™s just plain text, default installation gets you covered with the three applications @michel already mentioned. For general programming (in any the language), I personally use Emacs for ā€œseriousā€ sessions, or jed for quick ones. Gvim/vim is also a good choice for that purpose, but Emacs is much more than just an editor/IDE. For C/C++/C#, Genio is a native Haiku choice (and itā€™s not the only one).

But really, it all depends on your needs. None of the applications mentioned above is a ā€œbadā€ choice. The best editor is the one you are used to.

2 Likes

You have been answered already by those much more familiar with Haiku than me, but I would add that you may find the formatting of your text files a little odd, depending on which OS the files were created in. I donā€™t know how Haiku treats ā€˜line endsā€™, as opposed to how Windows and Linux do. To mark the end of one line and to move the cursor down one space, text editors in Windows and Linux do it differently. Some do a carriage return, some do this and a ā€˜line feedā€™. Iā€™m not explaining this very well, but if you find lines of text that donā€™t seem to end where you expect, thatā€™s probably the cause. A decent text editor should let you format the file correctly, if itā€™s an issue at all in Haiku.