Screen resolution

HI I have a large screen with a stanard resoluition of something like 1900x1200.

The “screen” app only allows up to 1280x1024 which makes everything look quite poor.

I understand I may be able to change this during bootup by holding “space” or “shift” and specifying manually however I cant get the boot menu to come up.

Any ideas why? Im using GRUB to boot.

You actually hold down [SHIFT] key or keep pressing on [SPACEBAR] key right at very start of Haiku booting. Soon as you select it in Grub and press [ENTER] key. Before you even see the Haiku boot screen.

Haiku uses VESA modes for unsupported video cards and these are determined by your video BIOS. You may not have any other modes to choose from. Are there higher resolution modes in Preferences->Screen? Are you using Intel graphics?

Hi,

Thanks for the response - I was able to get the menu and select someting like 1450x800 but im not sure its worked - it looks the same.

Im using an ATI graphics card Preferances -> Screen only allows 1280x1024 or smaller and it only allows the regular 4:3 aspect ratios i.e. 1280x1024, 1024x786, 800x600 etc

[quote=civ247]Hi,

Thanks for the response - I was able to get the menu and select someting like 1450x800 but im not sure its worked - it looks the same.

Im using an ATI graphics card Preferances -> Screen only allows 1280x1024 or smaller and it only allows the regular 4:3 aspect ratios i.e. 1280x1024, 1024x786, 800x600 etc[/quote]

The vesa driver doesn’t support 16:9 very well. I can’t get my hd5770 to do this properly either. works fine on my 19inch 4:3 monitor however.

Ok, I thought Screen preferences might show 16:9 modes. I guess not. Computers I use for Haiku have Intel graphics and I only get 4:3 modes so couldn’t say myself.

i have suported graphicscard: Intel Extreme x4500 but in new nigtly build is default set to 1024x768 resolution. in Screen Preference app i see all resolutions like 1440x900, too but when i change to 1440x900 and i set apply then my monitor write “Out Of Range”… i think problem was in resolution. its posible to change resolution, or is there any config file? i see only config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa … this file (mode 1024 768 32) plsease help… it is bug? thanks…

Please report your issue at http://dev.haiku-os.org and include your listdev, monitor make & model, and a syslog. http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/ReportingBugs

Hi I have a problem with the resolution on NVIDIA GeForce G100. Haiku is the R1/beta3 hrev55181 + 51.
I don’t know if my card is supported. The maximum resolution that the Haiku application “Screen” offers is 1280x1024, but my monitor has 1920x1080. When I give Shift at boot, there is no resolution higher than 1280x1024. In Windows, this works, so the graphics card is capable of displaying a resolution of 1920x1080 32bit. Is there anything I can do about it?
Thanks

Please take a look at

It can be that the driver from rudolfc can solve your Problem.

Are you sure? I have an Nvidia graphics card and AMD processor, I don’t know what it has to do with Intel Extreme…

Hi, correct. Nogo here, you are using vesa. I guess the confusion comes from the fact that there are systems out there which have both Intel and Nvidia gfx.

There might be a small chance you can select higher vesa modes if on 32bit or no UEFI boot. If possible on your system that is, don’t know the finer details about this yet.

The nVidia driver we have does not support your card.

Sorry my mistake

@rudolfc
Actually there is an Intel Core 2 Quad processor and not AMD (desktop PC), I confused it with another machine, but it doesn’t matter, the graphics card is listed correctly (Nvidia G100). This computer does not have UEFI, Haiku is 64bit. I don’t want to reinstall Haiku on 32bit but I can try the graphics on another computer with 32bit Haiku (this is the one with AMD). Thanks for the tip and explanation (unsupported card).

Update:
Even the 32bit version of Haiku (non UEFI) does not offer a higher resolution than 1280x1024 with this graphics card.
So I’ll look for other less exotic graphics card.
I have another, very specific problem on this first computer, which I will describe in a separate thread.

If you want to use nvidia, go for GF7900 or older as I’ve added support for those in the driver. The plan is to setup a seperate driver for newer cards due to all the compatibility stuff (lots of switches if/else, etc) across generations.

5 Likes

Hold on! Are you planning to work on this? :crossed_fingers:

That was the plan a long time already, though it did not really happen. Yeah, I guess so since I can find my way around the driver, in the meantime also worked with the nouveau driver for the latest expansion and fixes, I still have a few unsupported boards here…

I want to at least give it a try, maybe based on my older driver, maybe more directly based on nouveau. I am considering the latter since really, they did a lot of work I’d hate to need to redo… so If I give it a try based on my older driver it will only contain the basics I expect.

6 Likes

If you want to use nvidia, go for GF7900 or older

Well, so far I’ve put Nvidia Geforce 6200 in there and it works full screen 1920x1080. I will hope get to something better in time.

1 Like

Hi! new here, i had some issues but they have been solved except for this one that i will explain

I have installed in a partition the system, everything has been perfect, i have audio, network, screen, i can watch videos, etc…but after the last update that the system has applied when i reboot i have to enter in test mode and in resolution select VGA mode, before the update that did not happen, is there any way to select the resolution in a configuration? I tried to edit the kernel file by selecting VESA mode and frozen the entire computer.

Here is my CPU/GPU

Host: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Resolution: 1280x1024
CPU: Intel Celeron E3300 (2) @ 2.500
GPU: Intel 82G33/G31 Express
Memory: 2 GB

Thanks

Welcome to the Haiku community!

What exactly did you do? You have to set the “fail_safe_video_mode” option to “true” in /boot/home/config/kernel/drivers/kernel. The line should be there already, you most likely just have to uncomment it.

Probably a recent regression in the graphics drivers. Please make sure to report the problem on Haiku’s bug tracker at https://dev.haiku-os.org/ so that the developers are aware of the problem.

Oh, and one more thing: Please try not to resurrect old threads unless absolutely necessary. You can always link to an old thread if needed (which isn’t the case here I think)

1 Like