Roll call for prospective Haiku QA testers!

If you could use a usability/consistency/user experience QA tester (all non coding) I’d be interested.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in this endeavor and I have been keeping a low profile myself as of late (for personal reasons). PulkoMandy definitely would like a testing resource that is more formal and ready to go that could support the R1B2 release at the end of this year. There are obviously some QA minded folks (like myself) that exist in the Haiku community that may want to contribute to such a thing and I guess some discussions need to take place on how to proceed.

I’m probably one of those who will be on the QA team. What is kiwi and what should one know about getting into it? I see it integrates with just about every bug tracker except Trac.

My soul is developer (applications, not system), but working in software development industry I newer underestimate the importance of QA. Usually a self-respecting software company spends at least as much time and money in QA as in development.

Opensource software always suffered from little in-house testing, but this is counterbalanced by extensive user testing. If there are 2 persons willing to form QA team, and (possible) testing platform, PLEASE, go ahead! Don’t be discouraged by little feedback from developers. Believe me, the developer’s problems and priorities are very much different from tester’s ones.

1 Like

We are waiting on input from the qa team before we can give any feedback!

I have set-up an instance at https://qa.kacperkasper.pl/.

Currently there are 4 roles:

• admin (me)
  • senior tester (composing test plans, writing test cases, etc.)
  • tester (doing test runs)
  • user (view)

I’ll experiment later to perhaps make this a public system. Currently registration is required to see anything.

I don’t have any experience with this system, so not everything might be configured properly (permissions especially).

If you want to join, register there and send me a DM or catch me on IRC to give you permissions (depending on what you want to do).

As for writing the test cases, I think a following process will work well:

1. Go through User Guide for basic use-cases.
  2. Go through tickets on Trac (active and closed) and create test cases from that.

The definition of a product is an app or preflet for now.

Why did I go with Kiwi TCMS? It looks the best out of open-source and maintained options. The only other one is TestLink I think but it doesn’t look very appealing and intuitive.

Integration with bug trackers is important if we wanted to file bugs automatically from the TCMS. I don’t think that’s desirable, manual filing should work fine. It is still possible to link bugs to test cases/runs using just it’s number (Kiwi allows adding template URLs like https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/%s).

I guess we’ll come up with the rest as we go.

I’ll be available on Freenode #haiku-qa too.

5 Likes

I would like to explore the tool maybe over the weekend when I get time. Maybe setup a sample test project (or whatever the equivalent is) and play around to see how things flow.

Just completed a first sweep or Haiku and found some 50 QA issues. I’ll work out the notes for publication.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you have access to the bug tracker?

Yes, but I don’t know what’s the best place for them, Haiku’s bug tracker or KapiX’ Kiwi TCMS.

In the short term, Haiku Trac would be best. We still need to check out kiwi to ascertain it’s viability as a QA platform for Haiku.

1 Like

Hi,

I can Help in Testing RC & in QA …what to do ??
I can run on both x32-X64

PCdokter

Hi QA team,
It would be great if your actions and work was documented at https://www.haiku-os.org/community/getting-involved/testing/, rather than a forum thread :slight_smile:
If you could submit an update for that page, and keep it in line with what you’re working on, how to reach you, etc, that would be awesome.

3 Likes

Hi there !

Is Testing and Q & A team of Haiku established since then ?

Was affected page

refreshed as @Pulkomandy requested earlier ?

I know @dcatt opened another fresh topic

asking about PROs … related to this important development process.

I would reply for calling as a tester I could be involved especially AFTER this event

… where my development environment would be set up for good.

I would like to use the Haiku team and students developed Haiku tool that convert source code to Haiku and clang format.

I could test builds and application in it - but someone should create
—+ some scenarios what to test - basically based on existing tickets and
new features built by reviewed code.
—+ instructions how to report
—+ setup automatical checks - scripts - where applicable – to gather data
and this way useful information to analyse…

QM_with_taller_bubba_image_6

3 Likes

I’m also interested in joining an official Q&A team (not a Pro, but technical), and it seems there isn’t one according to the mentioned page.

1 Like

I definitely have been interested in being part of such a team. I think I have struggled on how QA testing would best fit into Haiku’s SDLC process. I have some ideas that I think could work but would rather work other folks to get a consensus on a good strategy.

1 Like

From the developer side, I think we’re waiting for the QA team to suggest something?

We could say there is already an informal team thanks to users spending a lot of time testing Haiku on various machines, finding ways to reproduce bugs, etc. I can think of @humdinger @vidrep and @Diver but there may be others.

There is probably room for a more structured process, and ideally it would help us with shipping releases (beta or final) more easily and with more confidence.

7 Likes

Yepp, I understand. In this way could PROs agree on tools what can do tracking of tests + QA activities ?

Just as we have our dev. environment if needed to tests and conversion of code I mentioned I want to participate in as well - to begin with tasks about next spring in 2022.

Can you - PROs - sit together - even online - to discuss it and vote a leader among you to be followed ?

I assume one or two dedicated person needed who directs the formation and wants to collect people around him/her to establish the TEST and QA teams.

1 Like

Ahoy PROs !

Was someone grabbed the ruling stick and formed

1. TEST Team of Haiku

2. Q & A Team of Haiku

finally ?

There are persons whould join those teams already ! :))

Developers also need your cooperation and process setup.

Finally someone - not authentic - of us will do it in hurry and then you will hold your head and then just shake it as it will too late to speak up against … :smiley:

Sorry. I have been so busy with life and work I haven’t been keeping up with this thread.