[RESOLVED] Mediatek MT7921 Wireless adapter issues

Hello there,

I have recently decided that i wanted a Hard install of Haiku, so I did.

But i do have an issue, I can’t get the wifi to work.

I have a b550m-a Wifi II motherboard with a ryzen 7 5800x. The included Wireless adapter is a Mediatek MT7921.

The Wireless Workshop said that any modern adapter should work but it’s not my case, and the script to get wifi drivers doesn’t cover mediatek.

When i do the ifconfig command, only the Ethernet adapter shows up, same if I navigate into /dev/net.

Furthermore when I do the listdev command, the MT7921 does show up as a Wireless Network Adapter.

I can’t find any info on internet for a possible Haiku driver for the MT7921, so this is why i came here to get help.

I hope someone in the community will have the answers i’m searching for.

Thanks in advance, and all have a great day,

Seb.

1 Like

There’s no compatible driver available for Haiku yet.
Haiku uses Wifi drivers from both the FreeBSD and OpenBSD projects.
On the FreeBSD forums,someone is talking about their plan to write a driver for exactly that chipset,signalling that it doesn’t exist yet: MediaTek MT7921 Wireless LAN driver | The FreeBSD Forums
For OpenBSD I found this page that lists supported Wifi chipsets,and there’s no Mediatek one among them: Wireless | OpenBSD Handbook

That is quite the goal. But I do hope that lad manages to write such a driver.

So I reckon we just need to wait, and in the meantime i should invest in a simple usb wifi dongle.

By the way do you know of any compatible usb dongle I could buy?

USB wifi dongles that use Realtek chipsets are known to work best.
Unfortunately it’s sometimes difficult to find out which chipset a dongle uses.
I have multiple dongles from Hama which work great for me (two different revisions).
You can get them here: https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_hama-n150-wlan-usb-stick-108483611.html
The pictures show that it’s again a newer revision than what I have,so it’s not 100% guaranteed that it still works,but I don’t expect major differences compared to mine.

1 Like

The thing is Mediatek bought Ralink few years ago. But, in this domain, chips are quickly outdated, the odd that some devices might have been re-branded and could work with Ralink drivers are quite low.

@LordePanda: Until you find a working adapter… maybe you have a smartphone/tablet that you can use (connected via USB tethering)?

Sadly i’m not able to do that, mobile reception is quite bad where I live, and I don’t know how to passthrough my iPhones wifi connexion to the computer via it’s charging/data cable.

Anyway, I’m gonna set this topic as Resolved since i got answers. They are not the best answers but I now have insights on the situation and can only wait that a driver is written, while also ordering a wireless usb dongle.

1 Like