Relationship to Fuchsia

OSNews writes at
http://www.osnews.com/story/29802/Google_s_Fuchsia_gets_a_rudimentary_graphical_user_interface
that there are new Screenshots of the Fuchsia OS.
Fuchsia is Googles new Operating Systems for mobile devices. It will be the successor of Android.

The kernel of Fuchsia is called "Magenta"
https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta
and was initially written by Travis Geiselbrecht.

Travis Geiselbrecht was one of the developers of the BeOS-kernel and later develoiped its own operating system called “NewOS”, which Haiku later forked and used that code base for its own kernel.

So have anybody of the Haiku kernel developers looked at Fuchsia? Is there something better implemented, then in NewOS/Haiku ?
Or differs Fuchsia too much to NewOS, that it makes no sense to look at it?

It is nice, that on mobile deveces, Linux will be replaced with an other OpenSource operating system, with some ideas of BeOS I hope (because the author of the kernel).
Next step is then, replacing Windows with Haiku, Fuchsia or something else. Linux have never found its way on the desktop for the majority of the desktop users.
Linux can still be on Server and Supercomputer.

It is nice, that more Open Source operating systems comming up, which are not all-rounder, however specialized for one special area.

Well, we don’t have much direct relationship, and we don’t plan to switch to that new kernel just now. The most important reason is Fuchsia is a 64-bit only system and we still plan to support 32-bit software for some time. The second reason is we are trying to get a release out and it is a bad idea to change the kernel now.

While Travis may be the most “visible” connection to Haiku, according to him there are also several other developers who worked at Be in the Fuchsia team. So it seems the OS could be some kind of technological successor to BeOS.

Is it better than what we have? I hope so, because people don’t start a new project without good reasons. geist stopped working on newOS and switched to lk, which is now the core of Fuchsia kernel. I think he did newOS to make something similar to the Be kernel, and now, he has identified many problems with it, and he can write something better. I don’t know the rest of the team but I suspect they are on the same line.

There can still be some collaboration between the projects. Fuchsia is welcome to borrow some of our (MIT-Licensed) code or ideas. And we have already started looking at their code, for example in an attempt to get XHCI (USB3) working, as their implementation is similar to ours and their code is cleaner and easier to read than Linux or FreeBSD one in this case.

We’ll see where opportunities pop up to share efforts on some things in the future.