Recommended laptop for Haiku series?

Hey all!

I’m going to setup a dedicated Haiku laptop and do a series of articles on living in Haiku for a month on optimal hardware.

Any recommendations for that laptop?

Sound and Wifi need to work. Obviously. :slight_smile:

Would be great if it weren’t a huge laptop. Ideally something with a smaller footprint. Something comfy to use in bed. :wink:

Used and older hardware is fine. I can always do some ebay hunting.

Open to suggestions!

9 Likes

I’ve had good experiences with System76’s Oryx Pro. Search the forum, there’s a lot who’ve had good experiences with the ThinkPad X220, X230 (I think, if I remember correctly). Though with the latest blog post, maybe you don’t want a Lenovo…

4 Likes

I use (and love) Haiku on a Dell Latitude E5410, but I needed to swap the network card for an Intel 7260 (~$15 on Amazon) to get WiFi going. I also had to switch the audio driver from the included one to OpenSound to get the built in speakers working. After those changes, Haiku runs like a dream. I only mention this despite the minor required tinkering because the E5410 is pretty cheap second hand, and may be more cost effective than some of the other common Haiku laptops.

2 Likes

T440s works fine, but randomly affected by https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14236

2 Likes

Yes, Thinkpad X220 is working fine here.

2 Likes

I have looked around for a hardware compatibility list for the latest releases of Haiku and not found anything up to date. Is this a recognition that perhaps the compatibility has become wide enough that such lists are no longer really necessary?

I look forward to reading the articles that you come up with. Are you able to tell us more? It is time Haiku got more exposure in the mainstream IT websites!

1 Like

This is a really cool idea, I’m sure the dev team will look forward to your feedback :smiley:

I haven’t used a ThinkPad X220, but I’ve had a good experience in the past with Haiku on a T420 from the same era, so I’m going to echo the X220 recommendation if you’re looking for something that small and light. Currently running it on a W700, which is exactly the opposite of small and light :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, not really, unfortunately - there are still plenty of things we need to support such as graphics drivers, plenty of WiFi cards need drivers in Haiku etc. etc. One thing’s for certain, we’re definitely getting bettet though. @apgreimann usually makes a Haiku Computer List (not sure if one’s been made for Beta3 yet) to help people out.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve quit maintaining the list for now (officially I’ve ‘paused’ it) until I can figure out how to do it better. Everything so far has just been a list of hardware but that really isn’t as helpful as I feel it could be and I haven’t got around to making all the new changes yet.

2 Likes

Thinkpad X230 also works well and has some nice things like USB3 compared to X220. On X220 and X230 you can upgrade RAM/HDD but try to get an IPS screen and a decent CPU. X230 also has a backlit KB option.

1 Like

Does Wifi and sound work “out of the box” on the x220? Looking for an optimal Haiku experience. :slight_smile:

I don’t have an X220 but they do on X230, and the hardware is almost the same so probably. It could be that there are different wifi cards though (they use mini PCIE wifi).

1 Like

I have an HP ENVY 13-ab016nr It has pretty good support. Video is Framebuffer, Audio works right out of the box, wireless works out of the box. Heck even HDMI Video Out works. The only problem I have is Issue 5179. You can get around this by using an external mouse or you can simple press down anywhere on the trackpad for a “right click” and use “ctrl” + press down anywhere on the trackpad for a “left click”

1 Like

I read your initial post before replying and saying “it is working fine”. I have wifi, I have sound, I have brightness control of the display, I have ethernet, I have working USB ports.

The external video outputs currently don’t work unless you use VESA mode. The webcam doesn’t work yet. The SD card reader worked when I wrote the driver for it, I have not tried it recently but it should still work.

1 Like

Lunduke!!! Good to see you here in Haiku-land!

2 Likes

I’m the guy with an X230, everything except the touchscreen works (except what @PulkoMandy mentioned above).

Yes in fact x230 has long been a popular choice. Also x220, x200 etc. Older x series (x61, x40) and other series (e.g T series) are also working well I believe.

Lenovo laptops (suggested by vendor as compatible):

• ThinkPad T14 (Intel and AMD)
  • ThinkPad T14s (Intel and AMD)
  • ThinkPad X13 (Intel and AMD)
  • ThinkPad X13 Yoga
  • ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3
  • ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 / Gen 9
  • ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 / Gen 6
  • ThinkPad L14
  • ThinkPad P14s
  • ThinkPad P1 Gen 3

Which vendor suggests they are haiku compatible?!

2 Likes

Haiku compatible - compared to similar/related OSes and/or hardware.
Haiku certified - the actual OS testing and approval per a specification/checklist.