RAM usage by the Haiku kernel

1 Like

screenshot252
screenshot250

First, consider that the RAM used by the kernel could be for file caching and so perfectly legit. The caching should be able to adjust to available RAM and, if an app request more RAM, the cache may be reduced even drastically, if needed.
Now, what would be interesting is to see kernel areas size in second case, to check that the large amount of RAM consumed by kernel is effectively used by cache, not by something more permanent that would not be released easily.

Second, please consider that not everybody is able to understand any foreign language. For such screenshots, please temporary switch to english language, thanks.

3 Likes

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11975

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14969

UserlandFS leaks memory when watching video from smb

1 Like

Note tickets now have a voting system that waddlesplash has added on trac to gauge community interest in issues… while there is no guarantee that it will bring more attention to any specific issue if no one has personal interest in fixing it, it can’t hurt to vote on the issues affecting you!

I would suspect it is the filesystem cache and other such caching. The kernel using memory is not really an issue because things like caches will be reduced when applications need memory. I don’t know if Slayer or other memory monitors can show the cache part of the kernel memory, but if not, it might make sense to find some way to separate that out, maybe in whatever API is used for getting memory usage.

Kernel memory leak is reproduced during active use of QBittorrent with a Wi-Fi device idualwifi7260

Is this on a system with userlandfs installed? It may be the case that userlandfs eats memory even if it is not being used. I haven’t heard reports of memory leaks with the WiFi stack before, so I’d want to double-check that it wasn’t something else…

The vmstat command can be used to determine that, usually.

No userlandfs/fusesmb
idualwifi7260 and qbittorrent

idualwifi7260 - cause of kernel memory leak