Raising money for Haiku (and other Open Source projects) via NFTs

Perhaps somebody drank the cryptocurrency kool-aid, LOL.

1 Like

Do it! I hereby officially encourage you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Happy new Year
Time to start again…

6 Likes

I’m not sure if user bans are possible in Discourse, but it seems to me that that could be an acceptable solution if this type of post keeps coming. You seem to be seeing toxicity where there is none, apart from your own.

I apologize if this post is deemed unnecessarily rude, but I felt like I had to add my two cents. No further comment.

13 Likes

DISCLAIMER : this is just theoretical - to enlight those who are tending to accept money from ANY source to progress this Project further - following the ancient romanian figure who said who earned huge money from installing public toilettes in Rome then :
“MONEY HAS NO SMELL.”

I may not agree on it – but in stores - for example - I must accept the coins and notes I give back from the cashier.

SO we may not be hypocrite in every cases when something about money and related stuff - all cases should taking care separately.

I accept - in this case - how you want to decide and why this offer hurted your feelings and this way you think it toward Haiku Project as well you work on as lovable part of your daily life - for years now.

So maybe this topic would not handle by voting on this theme longer and discuss it on forum democratically
– to not loss you and more valuable people of this project –
but Haiku Inc. and developers should discuss it and agree on it and communicate what kind of offerings can be related to Haiku Project.

The following lines of mine are just my one of behaviour that mostly misunderstood by others.
I like to play Devil’s Advocate and those ideas and perspectives I show them then they think those are my ideas or my perspective - without that I would mentioned that.
Please read - any of you who read this post of mine - this way.

End of DISCLAIMER
+++

Thanks, @Pulkomandy.

I finally understand in this way.
(Or I just think that – )

Getting electricity directly into our car and storing there instead burning fuel to get power to drive – this is much more sympathetic for me as well.

But however everybody would ask - us, enthusiasts of electric cars : could you reassure that electricity you loaded – so donations you got in case Haiku – are created not burning fossil fuel – in case of Haiku : comes that from source that you take acceptable - so CLEAN and CLEAR ?

I just ask this as I would like to know during these years Haiku community or Be Inc.denied such offering that came without publicity but was enough huge to be curious
“From where it comes to us ?”

So the problem with this offering just publicity as this way it connects to Haiku project publicly
OR
really you have an ethical comittee that decides on ALL donations HUGE ENOUGH to accept it or not ?

I just ask as - I personally - not respect hypocrite ones.
I let God judge them by their actions, but not like them,
As we live in not an Ideal World - however I accept if there are ethical and moral standpoints behind them.
This way I asked what is your behavior if not a small amount of money comes with love from members of this community but other one huge amount.

I do not intend to tell anyone hypocrite here without investigate it
so actually I just ask that to clarify.

Please forgive me if it sounds hurting or like I would attacking - it WAS NOT my intention at all.
I just tried to clarify it in disclaimer too. This all my personal curiosity and maybe mistakably translated transformed thoughts.
As I mentioned to judge internal on this topic – I assume this answer should publicly clarify. If I failed - I beg your pardon.

EDIT : changed Be Inc to Haiku Inc :P, sorry seems I live in the Past :smiley:

On a related note, Mozilla is also getting criticised for accepting crypto currency:

Am I the only one who is both annoyed by the crypto haters and the crypto fanboys?
I mean,in the end it’s only a currency and you just buy things with it,not more and not less.
I do also accept Bitcoin donations for my services,and I paid my domains with it at my previous registrar.
It just seemed more convenient to do it using Coinbase than going to the bank for every transfer (and no,I don’t do online banking,because I don’t want to).
I don’t think that cryptocurrencies will make the world or the internet a better place and that the blockchain is the solution for every single problem,but it’s a secure technology that can sometimes make sense (especially for secure transfer of money).
That whole war for and against cryptocurrencies is just annoying nonsense in my opinion.
I’m not a member of Haiku Inc. and have nothing to say here,but I’m for accepting crypto donations because we need the money and well,in the end it’s only f*cking money,not good and not evil.

1 Like

The problem is that crypto isn’t just money… every time a crypto transaction happens there is an associated carbon cost. Imagine if every time you bought something with normal money a tree was burned. Rather than being just money crypto is more like that… money plus tree burning.

Here’s an example from What's the Environmental Impact of Cryptocurrency? :

A single Ethereum transaction requires 220.05 kilowatt-hours of electricity, which is the same amount of power that an average U.S. household consumes in 7.44 days

Hopefully proof of stake will resolve this but it isn’t widely used yet.

6 Likes

This is the classic question of “Do the ends justify the means”? If you look above there is a nice chart that shows how much CO2 a single Bitcoin transaction produces alone.

Many here argue that the ends: slightly more money for Haiku development do not justify the means: climate changing events that are easily preventable (by not participating)

Cryptocurrency simply is not “only money”, and it shouldn’t be treated as such.

I don’t think this has anything to do with “crypto hating” but with the mindset of many project members. What is the point of working on an OS in your free time if you support an extremely negative development by doing so?

8 Likes

I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Reading the other replies will help. Crypto is damaging, pointless, and absurd.

Why you did not just send the money, instead to start a discussion about NFT’s?
If you want to donate your money to Haiku go ahead…

2 Likes

I’ve muted this person, being the only option I have in regards.

Looks like this “project” generated no money whatsoever.

The best outcome I’d say :blush:

3 Likes

There was nopoint in ressurecting the thread just to say that, we all knew it from the very start…

9 Likes

I personally found it interesting. I wouldn’t have been aware of the thread or what came out of it otherwise.

2 Likes

Humans need water to survive, but too much will make them drown. And besides that, a relatively tiny amount of CO2 is already enough to drastically change the climate which makes sure that plants will have a much harder time growing. Perhaps you should have a look at the phenomenon called global warming, it’s rather urgent that we’ll do something and maybe not accelerate it even further.

By the times you’ve accounted for the electricity costs and all failed speculations, you could probably have donated ten times the amount of money to Haiku. (and probably to multiple other projects aswell)

2 Likes

There is really no use in replying to a 2 year old message. I’m closing this thread now to avoid people continuing this now completely offtopic discussion.

6 Likes