R5.03 from a long time ago to now

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Can’t remember when, but just before Be Inc went belly up, I was rather active in the BeOS community. To those that remember me, a very harty G’day. :slight_smile:
Anyways, it’s been many, many years since any form of BeOS was installed on any of my hardware. Things change, people move on… Etc…
Then last night, after the kids were in bed, I actually sat down and downloaded the alpha 4 and burned it to a USB disk… Intrigued, I booted from the stick and wow… Instantly I was transported 15 years or so back into the past… :slight_smile:

I can’t believe what a great job you guys have done so far… Un believable… :slight_smile:

Very very impressed…

I’ll be keeping a closer eye on what goes on here at Haiku from now on. :slight_smile:

To all the people who have had/have anything to do with this project, my hat off to you.

V.

Doh! Admins, please remove 2 copies I inadvertently added…

Welcome back, Vanne!

Great that you like what you see! Be aware, that with Alpha4 you see a years old snapshot. Get a Nightly Image for countless bug fixes, new drivers, features and a brand new package management.

Nice to have you back!
Humdinger

I second that - particularly, the package management isn’t just an enhanced installer, it’s a major reorganization that can easily conflict with anything you set up under the old system, so the sooner you pick up on that the better.

Haiku is significantly better than BeOS. It’s 20 years later and the environment is more demanding, so it will be really challenging to get a really useable platform going here (web browser, …), but the OS itself is great.

get the nigthys is better experience.