R1/beta1 release plans - at last | Haiku Project

Uh? It should never be possible to trigger a kernel panic. The Installer should just kindly tell the user that it can’t see any hard disk. Which is fine, because you can install from one USB drive to another, or to an SD card, or to an SCSI drive.

So, please take a screenshot of the KDL and submit a bugreport.

1 Like

How do you take a screenshot during a kernel panic?

With a digicam, for example ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, software solutions won’t work. So take an actual picture of the screen

Could there be value in inviting someone to do a magazine review of Beta1 just before it is official (but not publish it yet), so that when they find something accidental like an off-by-one or a “it’s a shame the beta 1 had this little tiny bug”, then that can be fixed before the real beta 1 is released? :smiley:

Hello. Related to this:

There are some way to upgrade from a current nightly to this branch?

I just must change the repo url pointing to this url, and do a pkgman full-sync, I guess. Or I’m missing something?

Thanks!!!

Heard the news of an unofficial beta build (for real this time) from R1 Beta 1 Testing Image - Pre-RC! Awesome – I look forward to showing this on my blog soon as I can! :smiley:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Pretty much adjust your branch in the Haiku repo url from ‘master’ to ‘r1beta1’ and do a full sync. Technically you’ll be downgrading to the beta, but you’ll get the ‘stabilization fixes’ in it. (aka disabling known broken things, etc)

There isn’t a branch for HaikuPorts, and i’m not 100% we’re going to do one for the r1beta1… I think most people want bleeding edge ports.

1 Like

Will the Beta 1 support booting on EFI x64 machines? Are current ISO/images ready for that?

I’m ready to do some tests :slight_smile:

Yes, I believe so. I wish that they supported EFI on 32-bit machines as well… but unfortunately not.

Haiku 32-bit hrev52292 doesn’t work on IBM T23 laptop (Intel Pentium III, 1024 Mb RAM): while booting live-CD it say “PANIC: attempting to clone non-user-cloneable kernel area”.
Will R1/beta1 support Intel P-III CPUs?
panic_t23

P.S. I can’t try hrev52295 because it doesn’t fit to CD image (803 Mb is much more than 700Mb).

This is actually an SMAP related error in the s3 video driver / accelerant. We don’t see many s3 chipsets anymore, so it went undetected.

I’ve opened a bug report for you here: #14443 (S3 SMAP Violation at boot.) – Haiku

As a workaround, you can disable SMAP protection in the bootloader menu.

1 Like

Workaraund [Shift] - “Select safe mode options” - “Use fail-safe graphics driver” allows me to boot Haiku from liveCD on my hardware. Thank you.

Unfortunately, WebPositive still crashes with “Invalid opcode exception” as described here: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14060

I am getting a kernel panic when trying to boot the hrev52302 x64 anyboot iso from an usb stick on a Mac:

I guess it’s related to Boot from USB fails with “Haiku: Panic: did not find boot partitions”

Also the keyboard (wired usb) doesn’t work in the debugger.

Could you try this image and see if it is resolved?
https://cdn.haiku-os.org/haiku-nightly/x86_gcc2_hybrid/haiku-master-hrev52309-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot.zip

If it works for you I can slip it into the r1beta1 branch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, Mac’s are tricky. We do have a UEFI bootloader (which seems to work better in these situations), but it isn’t build as part of the image yet. (nor do we have an automatic installation process if you’re installing to your machine)

@jessicah is working on that, but didn’t make the r1beta1 branch. We still have some hope thought she’ll finish it up before R1 beta1 is released.

I confirm that hrev52309 image works well directly, without any workarounds. Thank you.

2 Likes

Interesting.
Now the r1beta1 rc 1 is out with the hrev52295 and additional there is now the normal hrev52309 out.
Which one is more stable and more mature?

Before I thoughted, that after the r1beta1 rc1, all upcomming versions are r1beta1 rcs until r1beta1 is published.
The other possibility would be, that Haiku would be forked: An stable r1beta1 tree and a tree with additional features, which will not be included in r1beta1.

But the revision number is an upcounting number and hrev52309 is not as r1beta1 rc marked. :confused:

1 Like

My humble wish to the release is to the installation image to fit to CD (700Mb). Is it possible?

Read the mailing list, the articles and the dev.haiku-os.org tickets, you will find all the required info, it is discussed recently.