"An Easy Method for Installing Haiku" not working

haiku news & iscomputeron.com are both showing a Method for installing haiku

Quote:
I wrote a little tutorial on how to install Haiku on your system. Not in an emulator! Here it is:

Assuming you’ve setup your disk with a partition to install Haiku on, grab a copy of BeOS Max Edition v3.1b here.
Burn it. Now download the latest raw disk image of Haiku (and leave it somewhere on your hard drive) from here.

Boot from the BeOS Max disk now, and run it as a live CD. Now right-click the Desktop and you should see a partition named Haiku (the one you downloaded) that’s about 60mb. I downloaded my Haiku image to a Fat32 drive. Anyways, now mount it.

Click on the deskbar menu and go to Applications/Development/Installer. Change ‘Install from’ to ‘Haiku’, and change ‘Onto’ to the partition you wish to install Haiku onto. My partition was a BeFS already.

My install took about 3 minutes on a P4 2.2 GHz. After you can even choose to install the bootloader.

http://haikunews.org/1105
http://iscomputeron.com/index/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=712

i’ve tried and tried but i can’t get it to work. I tried both the old image(8/8 ) it said to use and the new one (19/8 ) but it dosn’t come up in installer. I copyed and replaced the files on the hard drive with those on the image(mountimage crashed about 37 times making me have to restart the live CD) but it holts on boot.

(also the image file is ment to work on qemu but it thosen’t)

also other people have had the same prolem:
borg1980

Quote:
I installed 08-08-05 version but it crashes on Haiku logo (even with all safe mode options enabled).
schmedly
Quote:
I don't know why but when I mount the image it shows up fine, but using the Installed from BeOS Max doesn't list it as an option to install from. I tried to circumvent the installation by copying the files directly to the new partition, but then I get a hang sometime during the boot, after the Haiku logo shows.

[edit/ crap wrong part of the forum1 :oops: ]

If that doesn’t work for you for whatever reason, you can skip using Installer and do the copying manually - it’s not really hard or anything - if you’ve got a bootable BeOS partition.

Boot to BeOS, mount your Haiku partition and mount the image with Image Mounter. Open the folder for the mounted image and copy everything EXCEPT the home folder over to the Haiku partition. Next, go into the home folder in the image and copy its contents to the Haiku partition’s home folder. The only reason that you have to do the craziness with copying the contents of the home folder over is because Tracker won’t let you overwrite a home folder with another one. HTH

i tried again today with the live CD, this time with a blank partition,it still didn’t work. i can’t get the beos max 3.1 to work (the mouse dosen’t work in max and in haiku under bochs) http://haiku-os.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=501

I have the same problem. The ImageMonter doesn’t seems to mount anything that’s why there is no other choice in the installer. I tried both 2005_08_08 and 2005_08_19 with the 3.1b as a live-cd.

But both raw images runs correctly under qemu : http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Axel D’s Mount Image add-on tends to be better than “ImageMounter”

http://bebits.com/app/3576

Right.

My computer is a Compaq Deskpro which I think is about as old as BeOS R5. It has a Pentium II processor and 512 megabytes of RAM. I’ve got 2 IDE Harddrives in it, one 6 gigabytes and the other 10. The 6G drive is master and the 10 slave. I ran BeOS DevEd on the 6G.

I tried installing Haiku by copying files from the image to the 10G drive, at first it hung during boot. Checking the debugging output said it couldn’t run something or other. I don’t know why, but I tried cloning the 6G drive onto the 10G drive with Installer and then put Haiku on the 6G drive, which is the IDE master - and now it works! (Except for minor niggles like it not recognising my USB mouse and keyboard, but WTF, it’s still a great operating system:))

That’s the only thing I changed. Maybe Haiku doesn’t like being (on) a slave?

HTH

-Paws

noisetonepause wrote:
Right.

My computer is a Compaq Deskpro which I think is about as old as BeOS R5. It has a Pentium II processor and 512 megabytes of RAM. I’ve got 2 IDE Harddrives in it, one 6 gigabytes and the other 10. The 6G drive is master and the 10 slave. I ran BeOS DevEd on the 6G.

I tried installing Haiku by copying files from the image to the 10G drive, at first it hung during boot. Checking the debugging output said it couldn’t run something or other. I don’t know why, but I tried cloning the 6G drive onto the 10G drive with Installer and then put Haiku on the 6G drive, which is the IDE master - and now it works! (Except for minor niggles like it not recognising my USB mouse and keyboard, but WTF, it’s still a great operating system:))

That’s the only thing I changed. Maybe Haiku doesn’t like being (on) a slave?

HTH

-Paws

Try swapping it to be the master drive (or disconnect the other drive) – i had problems where it was trying to load stuff from my BeOS drive instead, and i’m not sure that’s been fixed.

Update: Oh, didn’t read your whole post… heh, ok - I think it runs on slave just fine, as long as there’s no master present at the same time.

… and I don’t want to open my case to unplug the IDE drive everytime I want to boot into Haiku, do I? :slight_smile:

I’m so excited about this project I might just learn C++ - and that’d be quite a departure for me!

I’ve tried to get Haiku working on a K6-2 550Mhz 512MB.
I get the boot screen but then it brings up KDL.
The questions that come to mind are:
Is this system too weak? Does the partition have to be formatted a particular way? How do I get debug information? (cable to another computer?)

I’ll try to post the complete specs later. I’m using an older notebook hard drive which could also be the culprit.

Katisu wrote:
I've tried to get Haiku working on a K6-2 550Mhz 512MB. I get the boot screen but then it brings up KDL. The questions that come to mind are: Is this system too weak? Does the partition have to be formatted a particular way? How do I get debug information? (cable to another computer?)

I’ll try to post the complete specs later. I’m using an older notebook hard drive which could also be the culprit.

I’m curious on what specs the kernel is expected to run also – I couldn’t get it to boot on a P200MMX i have at home. Of course, i never bothered to hook up the serial cable to find out why.

I initialized my partition as bfs using R5’s Drive Setup. I mounted it as /Haiku (since that’s what the install-haiku jam target expects by default).

And I probably already sorta answered your question about the debug info - you’ll want to hook a null-modem cable up to the COM1 port on the test subject, and then to another machine. You will configure it as a direct connect @ 115200 bps 8-n-1 on your favorite terminal emulator (I just used HyperTerminal on my XP machine since it “got me by” without having to find something more suitable)

Hmmm. I tried the method posted at Studio 33, but the "mountimage" command is apparently not recognized in PhOS. Is that a Zeta only method?

tremere wrote:
Hmmm. I tried the method posted at Studio 33, but the "mountimage" command is apparently not recognized in PhOS. Is that a Zeta only method?

I believe somewhere else someone mentioned that it’s available on bebits

http://bebits.com/app/3576