Quick Tour finished

I don’t know how to do that, so I’ll leave it to someone who does. But before that happens, it would be nice if the Haiku team could take a look at the content and see if anything needs to be polished.

Nice tour - no issues. I like the clear and crisp visuals.

Tips:

• The only thing is the flow went from the intro screen straight to the deskbar screen. So, I didn’t know the flow until I clicked on the topics.
  • Some basic info on what is Haiku and a little history? One slide?

I figured you’d want it to stand on its on unless it is part of a larger scheme of things.

Thanks for the compliment, @cocobean. But there are several issues I’ve found in my original demo. As for the tips, these are my thoughts as well.

I’m serious about redoing this; give me a bit more time, guys. I have another project I’m working on at the same time, which is what is slowing me down. But there are several things the next version will address, such as the cover, top bar, etc. The version by @kneekoo is excellent and a good improvement over mine but I’d ask to please wait and see both of ours before pressing it into a package and putting it in the image. Thanks, all!

Does the Trash need to be explained? Once the Deskbar is shown to contain apps, applets and preferences, I don’t see why the user shouldn’t explore from there. I’d limited the slides to the vitals and non-obvious like ALT<->CTRL, GUI widgets, S&T, Workspaces…
But anyway, different people have different priorities.

1 Like

Kinda, in the sense of users understanding basic file management - permanently deleting your files versus ‘safe delete’ (the trash can) - and undelete (from trash can, and from a permanent delete condition (advanced topic(s)).

There are some videos on Youtube showing someone’s Grandparent or parent using Haiku or BeOS.
Maybe add a slide commentary on ‘backup files often’… just kidding…

1 Like

Alright… may I suggest some more slides then:
“The mouse - Part 1: left/right/middle button”, “Part 2: The double click”, “Part 3: drag and drop”, “Files and Folders: What’s the difference?”.

2 Likes

If you need some extra functionality with jQuery, either write here or in a private message and I will gladly help. Maybe jump back to the first slide when you reach the end and hit Next, or anything else.

Maybe we can, for once, take inspiration from Microsoft:

2 Likes

I laughed a little bit, but then I remembered going through the tutorial over 2 decades ago, and it was pretty cool. It’s actually very helpful. :smiley:

wow very good work…
nice reading…
someone should help you get it in the beta…
I really like it a lot because it is easy to follow and understand…
after you finished css and some adjustments it will be much better…

thx

btw.
…why you are not thinking about a PDF File for the Tour?
It would be fast and even printable for the user!?

Haha, love it :rofl:

Because humdinger mean that a html Tour would be better than a app

PDF is not an app and it is working everywhere… on each Computer, mobile, and is as I said printable as seen!?

A html Tour needs a Browser… and the look of the Tour could be different…

I did not say that pdf is an app, just how it came that @apgreimann create this tour in html

Guys, I’ve thought a lot about it, and I think instead of having two different quick tour versions, I think I will let @kneekoo take over this project, as he is better in this area. I can try to present my updated version, but it’s really up to the Haiku team what they would like to do. Just thought I’d post an update on my thoughts; thanks.

Why do you make yourself small. You create a good tour. Why do not you do the project together?

You are welcome to create tutorials for our knowledge base BeSly or for translations, etc.

http://besly.de

1 Like

I’m not good at design, so count on me for “under the hood” work, but not for the UI/UX elements required for a quality guide. Either you or someone else should help on this matter, so let’s work together.

@apgreimann in HaikuArchives there are a lot of applications that need Guide/Tutorial if you like one of them your contribute would be invaluable

1 Like

As mentioned in the ‘Haiku wallpapers’ thread, I have attached my three backgrounds shown on the forum (dots, sails, Haiku ‘white leaf’ candidate backdrop). Note the first two will need to be set to ‘tile’ mode in Backgrounds to look as intended.

Download link (on Dropbox)

Other notes…

Thank you all for your encouragement, but my second demo would actually put a set of mini pages inside pages using iframes, etc. which is the opposite of what the design by @kneekoo hopes to do, which is unify everything rather than ‘fragment’ it. I think the best thing to do is to let him improve the v1 design, rather to present an all-new one.

If you guys still want me to finish and submit my new version, I can. But I’m almost thinking it’d cause this project to lose focus and have two different versions garnering user’s attention. If the two could be fused, I don’t know, but it’d take a lot of work to transition it and things are getting a lot closer to beta.

But either way, it’s okay by me. I just want to do what would work best for the community. Thanks, all. :slight_smile: