Q'n'A - Recently committed Haiku kernel patches for 'ppc' and several 'm68k' architectures

Hi there, very cool. I also have some g4 and g5 Hardware. Would Love to try haiku one day on those Machines. <3

1 Like

how did you build the toolchain for ppc? any patching needed on top of btrev43208?

The newer Apollo boards have 512MB DDR3 but the MMU on the 68080 only does address translations. If you want page faults, it routes through a separate memory protection unit (MPU). I don’t know if it would be worthwhile with such an unconventional MMU/MPU combo.

Yes there are some additional patch required, mainly due to changes in svr4.h and rs6000 core expectations about it. My patches are probably non…conventional in this area, but at least getting out a loadable binary. I’ll post it on gerrit after a little cleanup.

There’s a whole subject I’ll need to dig up later regarding Secure-PLT in the toolchain (which I’ve kept disabled for the time being), but it’s a story for another day !

1 Like

Ahoy @Yn0ga ! :))

I’m happy
I could brew some salivary post ( :beer: ) for you :innocent:

…and by posts of other forum members together …

… ignited your
Fire of Will

After allI can quote from myself - above :

I’m happy also as some similar happened finally …
anyhow it ends - it had worth it ! <|8{D

3 Likes

32 posts were merged into an existing topic: BeOS compatibility and packagefs

Can we go back to talking about PPC and 68k now? I don’t know where to report the off-topic but we’ve definitely drifted.

6 Likes
  • Atari Falcon (Motorola 68030), NeXTcube (68040), Amiga 4000 (68040)

Note: These computers from yesteryear (i.e. 198x/199x) were the high-end m68k-based multimedia machines used by creative enthusiasts/hobbyists/desktop publishers/graphic artists/musicians (i.e. nowadays called “content creators”). Bootloading on these ancient computers is a craft retained…

Flag the post and select off-topic.

: )

Of those, only the NeXT Cube has multiple CPUs. Would it be the best to start with?

I have few BeOS compatible PPC boxes (9500 MP and a Umax C500 clone), a G3 old world laptop (wallstreet iirc) and a G4 Mac mini. If you are making progress and want more people testing, give me a shout. I also have a Beige G3 desktop, but I think it died and I never got round to retesting it.

Will do !
Hit a small (?) bump with relocations today, but I’ll keep pushing. Thanks for your confidence.
Cheers,

3 Likes

Depends on your goals. PPC for SMP suggested - but up to you. Using supported m68k platforms, even the Apollo V4, seems viable due to OEM dev support availability.

I have a BeOS compatible 5400, a G4 MDD and a last-gen G5 single here that work (or worked when last used) and I think there’s a G4 iBook somewhere that would need some work. “work” = boot MacOS, obviously only the 5400 runs BeOS/PPC

1 Like

None of my 68k nor PPC machines are multicore nor multiCPU.

Apollo 68080

The Apollo v4’s 68080 is also single-threaded but at least it’s about 15-20% faster per clock than the 68060 running scalar code (owing to opcode fusion and bonding) and faster yet when the AMMX vector unit is used. The 68060’s MMU is more conventional though.

As far as OEM support for a non-Amiga OS on the Apollo v4, don’t count on much. They have their hands full with their own fork of AROS. Maybe documentation for the separate MMU and MPU (memory protection unit) would be needed for starters.

G4 PPC

I wouldn’t imagine Haiku would have very good single threaded performance when compared with MorphOS on a G4 PPC. I’ve got a Silent Upgrade G4 Mac Mini running the latest MorphOS and it’s quite responsive.

If they’d sell the apollo accelerators stand alone… as just a CPU it would be interesting and viable but its rather not really an option since they are proprietary and only integrated with Amiga computers. It is what it is I guess.

See here and wince at the price of the Apollo stand-alone computers: http://apollo-computer.com/

No the NeXT only has a single CPU, sadly. There were very few machines with 68k in an MP configuration (not even sure it was SMP). I only know of:

The NET-BSD docs linked for the Luna2 specifically said the second 68040@25MHz was for SMB. I guess cache technology wasn’t there for the 40 MHz version of the '040. It’s sad that the 25 MHz pair would have been slower than a single 68060.

Based on Haiku porting notes on Tier 3, any development work is out of pure nostalgia versus need.

There are online websites and emulators, like AmiKit 12.2, retaining full OS-level hardware driver support for many of these platforms as well as the application software and games designed or ported to them.

The clarity is in the desire to boot Haiku on these Tier 3 platforms - as taken from Haiku’s porting web page. For m68k and PPC, there is still very little desire to continue any Haiku-related development or support on m68k/PPC platforms. Nostalgically, no.

The truest form of flattery, but what is gained here?!?

1 Like