Python and Lisp

Hey there,

I want to install Haiku as my main OS, will I be able to use Common Lisp (sbcl more specifically) together with emacs and also Python 3 confortably (preferably using Anaconda but not a requirement)?

Can anyone explain me what (if any) differences there will be regarding this from Linux or Windows?

Thank you in advance,
HoC

PS: I hope this is under the right category.

Most of the porting work is done within the Haikuports project (pkgman install optional_software). Make a request there:

• SBCL 1.5.5 - Yes, possible through Haiku’s BSD compatibility
    • note: ecl (embedded lisp) is in Haikuports
  • Python 3 - Yes, Python 3.7.3 is in Haikuports
  • emacs - Yes, emac 26.1 is in Haikuports
1 Like

Thank you very much.
That’s good enough for me!

Be warned, the python ports are a mess. Please help us to fix it.

A mess because hard to maintain, or is the installed interpreter etc. not OK?

Emacs is available as text-only editor, no GUI, AFAIK. And I am not sure it has emacs-lisp under the hood. The only Common Lisp I could run successfully out of the box is ABCL over Java. ECL, as pointed by @cocobean, was once available, but it needs to be fixed. SBCL will appear one day, but not yet.

“a mess” is a bit exagerated. There is currently both Python 3.6 and 3.7 available and there are some mixups between the two for the packages we provide. But if you install packages with pip as normal Python devs would, that should be ok.

1 Like

So just to be clear, I will have acess to emacs terminal (but not the emacs GUI)? That’s fine though, but does it have emacs-lisp under or not? I’d need it quite a bit in order to configure my Lisp environment.
About sbcl, even if it doesn’t work out of the box, will I able to make it work without too much trouble? (If so, how?)

Regarding Python I don’t care much for the minor versions, makes no difference for me as long as I can get numpy, sklearn and pandas working. The available web browser will be able to run a jupyter-notebook?

@extrowerk I’d be glad to help as soon finish my bachelor final project due to September, but I’d say I’m only “proeficient” with Python, Lisp, C#, Java and some Haskell. If there’s anything I can do I’d love to, but I don’t have any experience with C low-level stuff as I assume would be needed. (It would be a joy to learn of course.)

And again thank you for all the clarifications.

Hi, emacs porter here. I never used emacs just did the port, so i fear i can’t give you a correct answer, but i can give you a hint: install it and test it.

I would but I didn’t wan’t to go through the trouble of installing it on my machine without knowing if these requirements are met, and Virtual Box doesn’t work as it is not compatible with WSL 2.0 which I need in my job so kinda out of question…

Then maybe somebody else can give you the answer.

Thank you nonetheless.

If it missing you still can adjust the build script: https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/blob/ae94b1277bcbbeb5b75fc110cd644e974715e9d2/app-editors/emacs/emacs-26.1.recipe

1 Like

Unfortunately not, as SBCL is well known for high performance and rather low-level implementation of Common Lisp standard. Other implementations have more abstraction layers and are easier to port, but slower in runtime.

I use vi myself, but I ported emacs to UNIX platforms in the distant past, and used it a bit, and I think I can safely say, elisp is guaranteed to be there, if emacs is to be useful at all.